[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - hunter gtech - RETRACTED

hunter gtech - RETRACTED

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

hunter gtech - RETRACTED

Postby gerkmax » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:57 pm

Wow! This is the first time I saw a listing retracted. And it was not done "quietly".

A couple of questions I had about NY Admin's note, is that he stated that the new coords were too close to "Bridges and Arches". But I thought that was now allowed since that waypoint (starting point) is a virtual one. Also, why retract the listing, and not disable it and give the CO a chance to relocate it?

NY Admin's note below:
-----------------------------

You are receiving this email because this listing is on your watch list. Visit the web site to change your watchlist settings.

New York Admin retracted hunter gtech (Not Published) (Traditional Cache) at 12/15/2009

Log Date: 12/15/2009
Listing Retracted

These new coordinates have multiple proximity issues and since the cache has not been logged found yet I am going to retract the cache page while these issues are addressed.

This cache is to close to:
Bridges & Arches of Central Park (GC17MX1)
and
Gutch's Central Park Cache (GCW8PN)

Please relocate your cache to a place accessible to the general public and no less than 528 feet from another cache or part of another cache. When your cache is ready for publishing please email New York Admin at newyorkadmin@gmail.com and I'll be happy to review your cache and publish it as soon as it passes review. Be sure to include the GC code or a link to your cache page in your email.

[red]NOTE:[/red] From this point forward keep in mind anything posted to your cache page will be emailed out to all 7 people watching the cache and those who have added it to a bookmark list. Information that is not intended for general knowledge should be sent via email.

Thanks,
New York Admin
Volunteer cache reviewer
Geocaching.com
gerkmax

Re: hunter gtech - RETRACTED

Postby addisonbr » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:55 pm

I can answer some of this. The main thing being that the listing has been vexed with problems from the start.

The hider is new and has no hides or finds, which is always a reason to exercise care.

The coordinates have been an issue, and the ultimately published coordinates being inside the zoo may have been a surprise (considering there was no mention of it in the one-sentence cache description). Multiple people hunted inside the zoo to no avail (myself included, although I didn't add a second DNF to the one I logged the previous night when I couldn't figure out how to get into the zoo at all).

The CO updated the coordinates saying "moving outside the zoo", but the new coordinates were *also* inside the zoo.

My speculation is that this was the point at which NYA figured it would be best to "un-approve" the cache and get things straightened out without the listing being "live" and confusing the heck out of everyone. The CO can still remedy the issues, but this way it's not sending cachers scurrying all over the place in the meantime.

The reference to Bridges & Arches is just a mistake I think. B&A is listed as a multi and as such shows up on the admins' proximity maps. If you're doing 10 things at once, it's an easy oversight. The proximity issue with Gutch is still true.
addisonbr

Postby Harry Dolphin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:20 pm

I have found two caches that were later retracted. One was inside the wall of an historic ruin. The reviewer was not aware of that, and retracted the cache after some arguments on the cache page. The other was a great cache at Red Hook, that was, unfortunately, seventy feet from another cache. In both cases, as addisonbr intimates, the problems were insurmountable. Of the two others that I know about that were retracted, one was too close to the final of a muti (which was hidden before final coords were required). The other had vociferous arguments on the cache page concerning nesting vultures.
I am unaware of the mentioned cache, but if it were at the Central Park Zoo, there is definitely an unsurmountable problem there. I doubt very much that that problem can be resolved. Retraction seems to be the proper way to handle that problem.
Harry Dolphin

Postby Tatanka49 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:10 am

Wasn't one of Fats277's caches retracted--the one on a bridge in Brooklyn?
Tatanka49

Postby addisonbr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:28 am

addisonbr

Postby gerkmax » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:57 am

Another of Fats' caches that was retracted (just remembered) was "High in Morningside". Not sure why. Could have been because it was on the edge of a cliff. The listing, Fats' profile, the whole shebang disappeared the day before I was going to look for it. His profile returned about a week later.

This one was retracted "quietly". I thought it was some error.
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:50 am

addisonbr

Return to GeoCache Hides