[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Here is why I love geocaching....

Here is why I love geocaching....

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Here is why I love geocaching....

Postby gipsie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:05 pm

It is not about the cache most times. It is about the journey that takes you there and the people you meet along the way.
Last night was the perfect example of this. A group of us from South Jersey Geocaching decided to go for a couple of exteme night caches. One a few of us (me, Pete Galap and Jack) had already done, but we couldn't resist the urge to watch the others go for it. The other none of us had gotten yet.

We met at the first one (that I had already done) and settled in to watch the fun. We had conversation and homemade brownies (thanks Mel!) and waited until everyone got there and for darkness to start to fall. When it started to get dark, off we went. Arriving at the posted coordinates, you could see the first flashlights start to shine up into the nearby trees. Soft groans and mumblings of Oh My God! were heard. Way up in the trees were 17 film canisters in 5 or 6 different trees with red reflective tape on them. Which one held the coords for the next stage? Those of us that knew huddled and watched the fun. They tried and failed, tried again. The made strange guesses. "Gipsie sat by that tree when we first got here. It is the biggest tree. It must be there." They tried to ply us for information with promises of beer and goodies. If we even mentioned one particular tree, they were up it like a shot. "You said that tree looked good," was the accusation. To which Jack replied, "Well, it is a nice tree as far as trees go." Every time a film canister was reached, and a huge "Awww" was heard, we giggled louder. We watched people push themselves to the extreme. We watched people climb higher than they have ever done. We watched people standing on each others shoulders, faces and hands. Finally the cry of "Coffee" (SJG speak for "I found it") was heard and a cheer went up from the crowd. The numbers were read out. All except the last three. "What about the rest?" was the cry. "I will tell you when I get down to preserve my safety," Joe joked. Off to the last stage we went. Cache in hand, everyone signed in and off to the next cache.

We all met at the next cache and followed the firetacks to the cache location. Uh-oh. We arrive at the final tacks and they are shaped like an arrow, pointing straight up. WAY up. We send one up to retrieve the cache as we all hold our breath. He gets the cache and we all sign in. Then someone else climbs to return it. Deciding it only fair that to log the cache we should all climb the tree, we each took turns going up. WOW, that was high!

At the parking spot we re-grouped and a couple of us broke off from the main group. One went home and another extended an invitation as they were leaving that when we finished our last easy night cache we should stop by their place for beer and snacks. Hmmm......

We quickly dispatched the last cache and to the Bubblerocks we went. It was 9:30 when we arrived and quickly the beer was flowing and the snacks were being eaten. Musical instruments came out. Next thing you know Joe was playing guitar and we had singers, tambourine players, drummers, maracas. Every song we played everyone knew. We laughed and joked and next thing you know I was getting home at 2am. But back to my original statement. This is what geocaching is about. The trip was great even though I only got one smiley. Hanging out with like minded friends. Having fun. And sometimes just being silly. I have met some great people. People I will consider friends forever. Who cares if we get one cache or twenty one. Life is good.
gipsie

Re: Here is why I love geocaching....

Postby buttaskotch » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Gipsie, that's what I am talking about!!! I am not a numbers person, I don't have that much time to give to the game, but each and everytime I go out, I know I will have fun and with a great group of people. I remember after Schunnemunk hike, we went to a cache where we had to cross a bridge with no road across just a beam. I am scared of heights, and 30 feet down I see the water beneath and vertigo took over. Team Divi Divi gave me the courage to traverse the bridge and go for the cache, I would never have done it otherwise, the sense of camaraderie is wonderful!
And those days where I go off on my own, is my chance to reflect on things, walking through the woods is so healing. The experience you described is a wonderful thing indeed.
buttaskotch

Postby Tatanka49 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 pm

Around the city, it's somewhat about numbers--just getting them off my list. But when I travel! Look out! I've now cached on almost 40 states. It's taken me to places that most travelers will never see. I see unusual parks, vistas, neighborhoods, monuments and so on. I talk to people who have lived in a place all their lives and haven't been to half the places I've been to.

Case in point. I'm going on my first cruise to the Caribbean next week. And you know it, I plan to cache. I'm not into swimming and such, but I do want to tour the ports of call. I may do a Gray Line tour somewhere, but I know that caching will give me a good look at all the stops....where most tourists never travel.

It's also great for business trips. Gets you out after a long day in meetings. I walked 12 miles in DC 2 years ago. Everyone said 'are you crazy..in this heat?' but I really saw the city. I've done Albany twice in the last month. Not much there, but great lunchtime walks.

J
Tatanka49

Postby halijusapa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:25 am

What excites us the most about caching is learning of new parks and places, often very close to home, that we somehow never knew of before. We try to "give back" in this sense too, as for example our recent addition to our "Diamond in the Rough" series of hides.
halijusapa

Postby Bonick0 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:17 pm

I have to say I've met some really wonderful people through geocaching. People from all walks of life, people whom I will be friends with for many years to come. I love going out on group hunts - so far every single hunt turned into an adventure with stories upon stories that can told. And of course with a group there is always motivation for just one more cache (even if it's midnight, you've been hiking all day, and home is miles away). I love it.
Bonick0

Postby MarkSun » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:17 am

I replied & wrote a reply longer then the original. Before I hot post I was uploading a photo to go w/ it when it asked me to log in (again.. maybe I had timed out ??), AND *POOF* ALL i has typed was gone. Maybe I will tell that tale in detail again later.

Actually, why I love geocaching.... I can give a few answers....

1) I will say it is the run of going going going.... sadly fro me usually alone BUT hey many w/ the huge # of finds .. go it alone. BUT that cold windy day early Nov. 2007 when we had the event at Alpine scout camp & me getting as many as I clod along the Palisades. Then that HOT HUMID day last June they had the event at the Adventure Maze exhibit in Bridgeport. After doing a few in the wood behind the Museum, I hared back south to something else in Round Hill (Greenwhich) Ct that evening .. I had my bast day (23 in all) ... around 15 in wooded area along the Merritt Parkway as I head back south

2) The text I lost was 2 parts, A) a shot tale told by another geocacher in NJ, about his family going to Cape Code every summer & one day saying "you all go do that (something the do ever year when there), I am going to take a day for me. he want geocaching & said, "I found & saw pats of & places on the cape I had never seen before & if not for geocachingI might never go see".

3) The other part was good detail of a day this summer when visiting my brother & his family we went goecaching, & that included my son (16 &1/2 then), & my brother's kids, my (identical) tin nephew's (age 6) &my niece (3 & 1/2) back then.

It was NOT all about the number's .. I gave great details about one afternoon... My goal on that trip was since were were driving to long at least one find in each star we drove thru (Md, WV, VA &< NC).. having dome ONE cache w/ my brother & his kids the day before the 4 (3 & a virtual) we did that day added to my total, BUT for the trip were an added bonus.

In one of the logs of that day I said in part...

"TO ALL SAY FIND AS MANY AS YOU CAN.... I will say TODAY was what it is ALL ABOUT... Trails in a wooded park & the joy of the 3 little ones happy to be there w/ daddy, uncle & their cousin. These 3 love to find flowers & small critters... OH the wonder of discovery at that age."

Any one who has inquisitive kids kindergarten age of younger will understand... In the text I lost I gave great detail of the kids have learned to follow that arrow on daddies old yellow e-trex & see the #'s get smaller lead them to the treasure BUT also how they us one of daddies older dig cams, & how colorful flower's or motion off the traits have them so happy & in awe.

I talked in details of how that day was so special & it was GOECACHING that brought us it. IT WAS the time we spent enjoying that day, time w/ the kids, seeing thins thru their eyes.. That afternoon the "prize was not the 3 goecaches we found. The prize was the simple pleasure of a walk in the woods w/ the kids & seeing my niece glow when she show all of us (grandma & grandpa - my folks) SHE got found the cache before het brother's (I had spotted what i was sure was the place & had all 3 come loon near me).

THATis one reason I love geocaching making memories that will last the rest of my life..

Mark
Attachments
IMGA0128.JPG
My brother Ken's (LiKeSun on geocahing) kids Tommy or Joey, do not ask which is which I could not tell you so NO clue whisc is in the pic, with his sister Katie. Taken 17 Aug 2008

So much Parsley, So little Thyme,
Wisdom emparted to me - by ,
Roamsry, the wise old Sage

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
- Douglas Adams
MarkSun

Postby addisonbr » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm voting for MarkSun to eventually retype his story! It sounds like an amazing experience...

My caching bug is schizophrenic, similar to Tatanka's. The first part of it is almost like being OCD! If I know that something nearby is hidden (especially if there is a puzzle involved), it just... bothers me that it's somewhere out there, and I don't know where it is! Sometimes it's not even fun for me - a lot of times finding a cache is more like relief. I think that is part of what drove me to try to clear Manhattan - I figured that if I managed to do that at least once, maybe caching in the city would be a little more fun/laid-back. (So far so good on that front...)

But also like Tatanka, I do tend to have richer cache experiences when I travel. For one thing, I have more down time, and for another, it's easier for me to get around. I usually will research a place ahead of time and pick out a cache or two that seem really cool and focus my efforts on those. If I scout right, I can sometimes have some great stories to tell afterwards.

Although I'll admit that I get a little OCD-like about the caches that are within walking distance from wherever I'm staying... Sometimes I feel like the relaxing part of my vacation only truly starts once I knock those out!
addisonbr

Return to GeoCaching