GPSr and Software Help

GPS Hardware and Software

GPSr and Software Help

Postby paulo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm

Having trouble with your GPSr and its propriety software? Post here what device and software you have and rest assured someone will reach out to you and try to help. If it cannot be sorted online, in the forums or by email, we should note it and try to implement it at our next meet up or event.
paulo
Site Admin

Re: GPSr and Software Help

Postby addisonbr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:22 am

I have a question for those versed in the backcountry dialect of Garmin. It's a problem that I believe mostly affects city cachers.

I use a 60CSx, and one of my biggest problems with it is zooming in on an cache area in the city and getting overwhelmed by nonsense icons showing me where I can get a bite to eat, take a nap, buy a purse, etc. It's New York City, I get it, there are lots of businesses nearby. I have not figured out an effective way to get rid of these icons without, at the same time, getting rid of the geocache waypoints I've loaded and am trying to track down. It's killing me. I have monkeyed around with the "Custom Points of Interest" waypoints (added advantage of being able to save them to the memory card = no 999 limit), but without much success. I may not be using them correctly.

Do any Garmin ninjas out there know of a way to eliminate the shopping stuff that came with the maps I loaded? If there isn't a way to eliminate them, does anyone know the right combination of settings to minimize their intrusion? Any other suggestions? Other than asking Garmin to hire an Apple engineer for a week to overhaul their software and UI.
addisonbr

Re: GPSr and Software Help

Postby Bonick0 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:59 am

There was something about turning on the Declutter. Although that might eliminate all the waypoints, including the cache treasure boxes.
Bonick0

Return to GPSr Related