[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Organizational Meeting--Lower Hudson GC Group

Organizational Meeting--Lower Hudson GC Group

Organizational Meeting--Lower Hudson GC Group

Postby paulo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:34 pm

Here is a list of what we will likely review. Post some feedback to get ideas going- especially if you can't make it to the meeting.

1. Should we have meetings? How often? Where?
2. Should we incorporate? tax exempt?
3. Should we keep track of your membership? How?
4. Should we collect dues? How much?
5. Should we have a board of directors?
6. Should we have committees?
7. Should we sponsor events?
8. Should we have a forum or website?
9. Any other questions that should be raised?
paulo
Site Admin

Re: Organizational Meeting--Lower Hudson GC Group

Postby paulo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:29 pm

I'll be attending to try and sort out anything that can be done on the internet for the group and answer any related questions- on my radar is:

Group Name- Need to get a consensus on a name, even if it's temporary. Getting this name out and attaching it to news articles, a website, events, or geocoins, will only help the cause.

Domain Name/ Wesite- Do we need a website/ forum? If yes, if we can agree on a domain name- i'd like to reserve it as early as possible.

Meetings- I've already heard the concerns in traveling to meetings, should we schedule more frequent conference calls/ virtual meetings to location based ones? Voice, text, video based or a combination of these?

Usernames- Do we make it mandatory that forum usernames match gc.com handles?
Last edited by paulo on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added username question
paulo
Site Admin

Postby tomflushing » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:57 pm

Hello to all,

I think the name for the group is fine.

My suggestion for the mission statement would be :

LHGCA goals are to provide a safe ,friendly environment for cachers to meet one another , to the exchange of knowledge in order to become better cachers , the chance to participate in organized events and to promote the hobby we all enjoy.

I think until the group grows it should have at minium at least a three person board-President, Vice President and Secretary.

You will need this bare minium if you want to start a non profit group and have a checking account( all organization need two signatures on a check ) in the future .Besides when the organization wants to contact any government office ,corporate sponsor or any other organization for help and or permission with events/ club business the group sounds more legitimate when the request are made by an officer and not just a” member.” It also tells members that they have someone to turn to if they want have something addressed rather just having to toss ideas around and hoping someone picks up on them.

For events I would suggest start with five the first year.

1.CITGO Event

2.Group hunt to a cache rich area ( minium of 10 caches in the area chosen)

3.Five star hunt -caches must have a total rating of 5 or greater adding both difficulty and terrain together to achieve this.

4.Summer event -maybe piggy back off a regular scheduled event ( Central Park event or Long Island event)

5.Winter/Holiday event -John you already have held three of these .All were successful

As far as general meetings ,I wouldn’t be too concerned about them for now until you know who your membership is: for example where do the bulk of them live, what are their experience levels and most importantly what is their interest level.

You must definitely plan on having some planning metings to get the structure of the organization going.

Website is a must

Forums start off good and are used quite often at first and then they die out.

All the above are just my opiniones and I hope you find useful in your discussions.

Tomflushing
tomflushing

Postby lekogm » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:45 pm

1. Should we have meetings? Yes
B. How often? Once a month.
C. Where? The location should rotate and be someplace convenient to everyone, IE near mass transit and with parking

2. Should we incorporate? tax exempt? In order to answer this we need to have a mission.

3. Should we keep track of your membership? Yes, there's strength in numbers
B. How? Mailing lists. If you're a geocacher you have to have the internet.

4. Should we collect dues? How much? Again, to answer these questions we need to have a mission.

5. Should we have a board of directors? Of course, that way I have someone to blame when I don't get my way.

6. Should we have committees? See above.

7. Should we sponsor events? No, we shouldn't sponsor events, we should organize them and have people pay.

8. Should we have a forum or website? Yes we need to let people know who we are and what we do.

9. Any other questions that should be raised? Can I have some money for lunch? And oh, who is driving this bus that I just got on?
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby yossface » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi everyone - I'm planning on attending the meeting as well. Here's my thoughts for now.

1. Should we have meetings? How often? Where? Meetings are great - being able to put a face to a geocaching name and actually talking to each other goes a long way! Once a month seems like a good frequency to me. I'm open to location, as long as it's accessible by public transportation, since I'm in the city and have no car :)
3. Should we keep track of your membership? How? I agree that tracking membership via a mailing list of some sort (or via the google group) makes sense.
6. Should we have committees? If the group gets to be large enough, this could be helpful in keeping things organized and actually getting things done.
7. Should we sponsor events? Yes! I would be interested in helping organize some events in the future.
8. Should we have a forum or website? A website is a great idea. I know a few others mentioned the same, but Brainzane and I also have a programming background and would be happy to help with the technical stuff if there's a need.
9. Any other questions that should be raised? How to spread the word about geocaching, and the group, in the area.

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone in a few weeks!
yossface

Postby KvPhoto » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:26 pm

Being a new member and just as new to Geocaching I will throw in my two cents

I would love for there to be some sort of meeting, maybe monthly. It is a good way for people to get together and meet in the real world. As for where, I live in the Bronx and don't drive so I would prefer to see someplace accessible via Metro North if it will be north of here or in the city.

I could not say yet

It would be good but how?

I would wait and see what finances would need to be covered

Again I could not say. It would be good to have clear cut 'leaders'.

If things get large enough yes.

Absolutely! Getting people together is always a good idea.

Absolutely!

KvPhoto

Postby paulo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:57 pm

Here's my 2cents worth. Thanks to everyone who have answered- this list will be printed and used at our first meeting.

yes, monthly- more if needed for events, winter months indoors and summer months outdoors
not yet, NYGO, the 600 lb. gorrila isn't even tax exempt yet.
yes, in the forums/ website w/ members split into groups- organizational members, members w/ gc handles and everyone else
No, but accept donations; geocoins have been so profitable for groups, that with the release of our first coin we should cover web hosting fees for several years and even get Tatanka49 an upgrade from his Yellow Etrex
Yes, but the should have cool titles, like prime minister, minister of defense and the like
Yes, they will likely be useful for events
yes, gc.com events under the lhgc name
we have a forum already, and a website with gc faq's and pages touting the unique caches of our area are sure to follow
i've been collecting everyones questions and suggestions here in the forum to raise at our meeting. So keep posting them!
paulo
Site Admin

Return to 2010- Earlier Events