[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Montauk Event Planning

Montauk Event Planning

Montauk Event Planning

Postby lekogm » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:59 pm

Would anyone be interested in taking a trip out to Montauk at some point?
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Re: Montauk

Postby Tatanka49 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Been wanting to get out there for some time. Unfortunately, I have a very busy calendar. I can pencil you in for early May, or during the week of Feb 21-24. Like to get my sidekck Paulo to go too. Cacing in 3's and 4's always beats ones and twos. I teach geologic hazards and I need some more beach pictures.
Tatanka49

Postby peeves79 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 pm

bonick0 and me have discussed a trip out there at least twice in the last few months. We were going to hold off until warmer weather. So we would be interested in a trip out there with others. I have been out there once before but that was during my precaching days. If I only knew.
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby lekogm » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:40 am

I think a warm month is a great time to go. maybe like..... May 17th? There's a great state park out there called Hither Hills that is home to the walking dunes. I need to remember some more about them and either find my pictures of the place or go out there in late march or early april and take some so that I can set up an earthcache. I used to go out there one to three times a summer from 1995 to 2005 and I can tell you it's amazing to see how much the topography of the dunes changes over the years.

maybe we can do a lunch time event out there with some cachers from the hamptons?
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby hukilaulau » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:09 am

LIGO had an event at hither hills a couple of months ago... Some great caches out there. I'd like to go again. The earlier we can plan it the better so I can schedule the day off
hukilaulau

Postby Bonick0 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 am

May 17th sounds great. 16th is actually my birthday and a super caching day would be a great present :mrgreen:

Who wants to be in charge of the lunch time event in the park?
Bonick0

Postby lekogm » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:38 pm

I'll help someone else plan it. I'm whipping up an event cache listing at the moment which I'll leave inactive and once we firm up a date i'll publish it.

What we need for it are coolers, cars/transportation, and folding tables. Keep in mind it's about a 3 hour drive or train ride from the city.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby lekogm » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:49 am

What about may 23rd? I don't know if we want to put a little more distance between the Staten Island Picnic and this event or not.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby Bonick0 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:31 pm

If SI picnic will be on the 3rd, then 23rd for this sounds fine. Although that date falls on the Memorial Day weekend, and people may be out of town.
Bonick0

Postby Tatanka49 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:55 pm

Okay, let's not get crazy over events. These are my humble suggestions..
1. We discussed one event per month. We also said we wanted to change locations. So this meets second criteria but not the first.
I don't think that Memorial Day is a good idea. Many people will be away and as opening weekend for the HH beach, it will be mobbed. How about mid June?

2. How about a wild and crazy idea??? Hither Hills has a campground. Why not make it a cache and camp (or not) weekend? We could rent a couple of campsites (6 people or 1 family--no more than 2 tents per site) and if people want to spend the weekend, it's an opportunity. If you just want to come for the day, then that's okay too, and we meet in a picnic area.

HHSP's beach opens Memorial Day. I checked their campsite availablility. Cost is $27(+$10 reservation fee) per night for the aforementioned campsites. They have no sites available Memorial day or the weekend of June 7. They have some availablility May 31/June 1 and some availability June 14/15.

I would be glad to write a site announcement if you wish. Camping would be an option, not mandatory. We would post the campsite info. as long as there is availability, you can choose your sites.

If you pick a date in June, i plan to camp anyway, whether it's an official GC activity or not.
Tatanka49

Postby lekogm » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:47 pm

Just an FYI June 7th is the GeoJamboree event that the CT Cachers are throwing. I actually have a campsite there the 6th to the 8th and will be going, most likely by myself. Which reminds me, I should see if anyone is going there. Time for another topic! ;)

But seriously, I just look at calendars with numbers on them and come up with dates. I don't know when holidays are or anything like that. I also agree that event saturation is a bad thing. How about June 27th, 28th, and 29th for camping and an event of some kind on June 28th?

How does that sound?
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby Tatanka49 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Hither Hills has no camping reservations available except for the two dates that I gave...and the ones on the 15th are going fast. The end of June is very difficult for me. But again, I don't have to be there.
Tatanka49

Postby lekogm » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:41 pm

Hey, I don't care when we go as long as I don't have to work I'm up for anything.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby Tatanka49 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:03 am

Ok. I will create one for June 14. It's Fathers Day weekend, but that shouldn't matter.

J
Tatanka49

Postby Tatanka49 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:35 am

New York State is very frustrating. It doesn't allow you to make a weekend camping reservation for less than 3 days and not in peak season. So, I will put this on hold for a few days. Hither Hills is a possibility, but since I am no longer camping, I will consider Montauk State Park or Camp Hero State Park for staging area/picnic. I checked the LIRR schedules. Trains leave Penn Station at 7:46 am and 9:46 am ... transfer at Jamaica at 8:12 and 10:12 respectively and arrive oin Montauk Statetion at 10:51 and 12:51. There are return trips out of Montauk at 3:37, 5:37 and 7:34. One way ticket is $13.78 on line or $14.50 at the station. We could do a pick-up at Montauk station if people needed that. Montauk Station is about half way between both Hither Hills and Montauk Point. In any event, keep June 14 open as an event date to the east End.
Tatanka49

Next

Return to 2010- Earlier Events