[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - WWFM--FAll 09

WWFM--FAll 09

WWFM--FAll 09

Postby Tatanka49 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:11 pm

Mark asked me about the next WWFM--probably to be held in November (date TBA)

I again suggested Brooklyn. Where's Waldo was an interesting idea but Mark said that in Union Square, few people noticed. And some of us are uncomfortable doing something like that.

I suggest a compromise of sorts...

How about someplace in Prospect Park--plenty of caches, easily accessible by subway (and car if you look) and then do something like a 'point' That is,everyone focuses on something-- a distant building, a tree, whatever. Look, point, ooh, ahh,use binoculars (but there really isn't anything there) Everyone stops and asks what you are looking at. You show them and are incredulous when they can't see it.

Thoughts? Other locations--Bronx perhaps. Organizers?

J
Tatanka49

Re: WWFM--FAll 09

Postby addisonbr » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:10 am

Let's see, we've had Queens, Westchester and Manhattan... I'd say that Brooklyn is a great choice. Good caching density in Prospect Park.
addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Been wanting to host a Van Cortlandt Park WWFM for awhile but a lot of things going on for me are in a state of flux right now (such as my being out of town most of the week until early August) so not sure I'm ready to host for the fall. Had the idea of meeting by the "tortoise and hare" statue where there happens to (nearby) be a cache as well. If someone else wanted to do this for the fall, great, would likely be able to attend, but otherwise Prospect Park sounds great!

For a long time Brooklyn has been relatively lacking in caches and that is starting to change a bit so it may be a good idea to showcase Prospect Park and its caches. Will try to go to this one wherever it is.
halijusapa

Postby lekogm » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:33 am

where in prospect park would you suggest this event be?
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby Tatanka49 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:13 pm

I don't know. One of the public areas-- maybe Picnic house,or the Discovery Center or behind the zoo. You want to take the lead?
Tatanka49

Postby addisonbr » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:35 pm

The date will be Saturday, November 14th.
addisonbr

Postby Tatanka49 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Had a conversation with Jeff -- one of the new Brooklyn cachers on weekend. He said he may like to helpon some event in Brooklyn. I told him to sign into Forum is he hasn't already. Name is Schulstker or something like that.

J
Tatanka49

Postby addisonbr » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:49 pm

My money's on schbus86.
addisonbr

Postby Bonick0 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:54 pm

It would be great to get the new cachers involved and get them organizing the event. I'll get in touch with schbus86 and see if I can encourage the involvement. :)
Bonick0

Postby everettlane » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:03 am

Newbie Brooklyn cacher here -- let me know how I can help. I live right near Prospect Park.

One suggestion for a Flash Mob -- the public areas of the park might not be crowded enough in the middle of November. However there is a Greenmarket at Grand Army Plaza every Saturday from 8a - 4p which would provide a good concentration of muggles. And it's right at the entrance to the park.
everettlane

Postby halijusapa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:42 pm

The Long Island WWFM event has just been published: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 294e06d384

There's good and bad news in terms of "competing" with a NYC event being in Queens or Brooklyn (as opposed to Manhattan, the Bronx, Westchester, or Staten Island) in terms of it pulling away potential attendees:

1) It's almost as far out onto the Island as can be (Riverhead, last time it was a lot closer, in Babylon I believe), so many Long Islanders may live closer to a Queens or Brooklyn WWFM and be tempted to go where they may normally have gone to the LI WWFM, especially since they wouldn't have to go over a tollbridge like they would to a Bronx or lower Westchester WWFM event nor decide whether to venture into Manhattan vs. a far LI trip.

2) On the other hand, several "hardcore" LI cachers who go to many metro NY events who probably live just as close if not closer to Queens or Brooklyn than Riverhead are now planning to go to the Riverhead event since it's been already published (i.e. mmacgown/Sakiman, bayonets4u (and thus presumably WRR)).

Not trying to make it sound like a "competition" as I would cross the tollbridge down to Brooklyn or Queens and obviously the location vs. the Long Island event doesn't affect the core Manhattan crowd or anyone north of that, but thought I should note this if there are still plans for a WWFM event. Looks like it's a tiny bit later this year too (Nov. 14).
halijusapa

Postby Tatanka49 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:56 pm

I seem to recall that one of the founding 'principles' of the Metro NY Society was that whenever possible, the site should be accessible by public transit--LIRR, Metro North or local service. We were talking Brooklyn. Bonik0 was going to contact the new Brooklyn gang. Don't know where that stands.
Tatanka49

Postby MarkSun » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Ok ... My fellow Metro NY GC

I just saw a 2 posting in the weekly newsletter (arrived in my e-mail a few minutes ago) one in Riverhead, the other in Pa. Teh date is 14 Nov. - second sat.

SO who is gonna host Metro NY GC's contribution to WWFM VI ? Harry & Lisa have suggested a place in Van Cortland Park in the Bx. Other posting here have suggested Prospect Park in Brooklyn, where there are many caches so those not from the area who have not done caching in that past of Brooklyn can get a good number of :P's that day.

I hope someone sets it on soon, so people maybe not that near will have time to see that listing w/ time to plan to attend. Also w/ just under 2 months should the person who "hosts" can decide if the want us to do or wear something special.... there is time for all who will attend to prepare for "special" thing.

MarkSun

So much Parsley, So little Thyme,
Wisdom emparted to me - by ,
Roamsry, the wise old Sage

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
- Douglas Adams
MarkSun

Postby MarkSun » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:59 pm

So has anyone decided who will host WWFM VI & where ? I want to attend one & like to attend Metro GC's event over another one. I'd hate to say yes to another then find we gate one posted w/ in Metro GC.

Mark

So much Parsley, So little Thyme,
Wisdom emparted to me - by ,
Roamsry, the wise old Sage

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
- Douglas Adams
MarkSun

Postby halijusapa » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:57 am

And there's still no other event really "near" here yet (the only two I know of is out in Riverhead and one in the Poconos in the outlet mall there) to go to either.
halijusapa

Next

Return to 2010- Earlier Events