[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Ever hear of "Meet Up" -- April 5 3 pm

Ever hear of "Meet Up" -- April 5 3 pm

Ever hear of "Meet Up" -- April 5 3 pm

Postby Tatanka49 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:26 am

There is an organization out there that matches people with common interests. A friend of mine meets with other bagpipe players once every few months. There is this guy who organizes Geocaching hunts in Central Park. As far as I know, he's not a true cacher. I think I and perhpas some others of us should show up at this event (April 5, 3 pm)
http://geo.meetup.com/134/calendar/10004525/?a=cv1p_grp
and maybe introduce the real game to folks and maybe even get some newbies in the ranks.
Tatanka49

Re: Ever hear of "Meet Up" -- April 5 3 pm

Postby addisonbr » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:38 pm

Interesting... It looks like a sort of young outdoorsy singles group. At least the organizer for this particular group has to know about geocaching because it looks like they search for actual caches (Down the Rabbit Hole, Bow Cache and Lakeside View last September, and many of the East Village garden caches in October and November). And it looks like they're signing the logs - they're just not logging them online. I have a friend from college who plays this way - he's probably found 100 caches, but has never logged one on groundspeak's servers.
addisonbr

Postby Autorita » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:32 pm

Cachin' yer caches.
Autorita

Postby Bonick0 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:05 pm

How interesting. Maybe we can convert some of them into true geocachers.
Bonick0

Postby addisonbr » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:51 pm

addisonbr

Postby hallycat » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:07 pm

My biking pals John and Nancy love to go with me caching and enjoy the hunt however have no interest in logging their finds or doing all the work it takes to load caches. Each to his/her own.
hallycat

Postby Autorita » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:04 pm

Cachin' yer caches.
Autorita

Postby Tatanka49 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Tatanka49

Postby addisonbr » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:18 pm

addisonbr

Postby gerkmax » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:10 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a "non-logging cacher" as long as it doesn't interfere with regular caching. At worst, it's a muggle who finds a cache, checks it out, replaces it, and moves on.

If only all muggles could be so nice...
gerkmax

Postby lekogm » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:44 am

Meet Up has been around for about 10 years if I remember correctly. I think it's a good way to introduce people to the game and I wouldn't be opposed to stopping in and checking this out.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby peeves79 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Looks like I might be upstate for three days that weekend. So I can't wait to here all about it on the forums.
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby MarkSun » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:48 pm

There is a genealogy -- or was Meet Up group that I was part of but the "leader" gave it up... we had a maybe a 11-2 dozen member's & when she had to stop ... no one was willing to take over. Since then a few ethnic/heritage based groups have started .. There is a Jobs meet up I know of & I bet we can find Meet Up groups that might like geocaching.... or maybe we can start a Geocaching Meet Up group ?

Mark

So much Parsley, So little Thyme,
Wisdom emparted to me - by ,
Roamsry, the wise old Sage

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
- Douglas Adams
MarkSun

Postby Tatanka49 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 pm

I told them that I would be there with about a dozen GPSr's. I told them that there may be other MetroGC members there as well--not to intrude but to assist. I got this e-mail back from this felloow Shawn who is the organizer:

Hi,

Good to hear from you and glad to see you're coming to our
meetup. We could definitely use as many GPS units as possible.
Some of the issues with our past meetups have been that many
people just followed around those who had GPS units, which is
no where near as fun as tracking the cache down yourself. I am
by no means a professional or expert geocacher (I took this up
as a hobby last year and have found only maybe 20 or so caches
since then), so I would be really thrilled to have the support
of the MetroNY Geocaching society. It'd be great to see your
members at our meetups to share their
experience/knowledge/equipment. I would also be happy to post
meetups whenever MetroNYC Geocaching has trips or events
planned so that my members can get involved there too.

Thanks and see you on April 5th!

Shaun

J
Tatanka49

Postby Bonick0 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:39 pm

That's great, have a great time teaching them the game. I'm sure people will appreciate GPSrs and expert advice.
Bonick0

Next

Return to 2010- Earlier Events