[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Whereigo

Whereigo

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Whereigo

Postby Tatanka49 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:09 am

Have you seen this new posting by GC.com:

http://www.wherigo.com/default.aspx

I needs a techy to explain it. The are looking to have a kick-off in NYC area if enough people ask for it. So far, Just 5 have ....

J
Tatanka49

Re: Whereigo

Postby buttaskotch » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:22 am

Hmmm, I did enjoy Myst when it first came out, but I am not sure I would want to divide my precious time between Caching and whereIgo. Plus, i am not a puzzle cache lover.
Interesting concept, but not for me
buttaskotch

Postby Bonick0 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:39 pm

There was an episode of Numbers about a similar game. Online players had to go out in the real world and solve puzzles, collect information, and complete tasks to progress in the game. Sounds like an interesting concept, but too much effort for me.
Bonick0

Postby lekogm » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:22 am

Unless they're going to give me a Garmin Colorado or a GPS enabled PDA I can't do anything.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby addisonbr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:43 pm

Speaking solely from my own little corner of geek-dom, I actually think this could be amazing. I love this kind of stuff. I solved Zork when I was a kid and then re-solved it on my Treo as an adult. I totally dig on puzzle hunts. Have designed two of them for the munchkins' school with another coming this spring.

John, where are you seeing the info about a NY kickoff?
addisonbr

Postby addisonbr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:51 am

Follow-up, I think I found the link:

http://eventful.com/performers/wherigo- ... 00095162-4

Some of my initial enthusiasm for the Wherigo concept has definitely worn off in the last day or two as I've looked a little closer. I haven't seen anything so far where the ratio of "fun" to "technical mumbo-jumbo, limitations and bugs" is quite high enough yet. But I'll check back in a few months from now and see if things have advanced.
addisonbr

Postby Tatanka49 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:36 am

I went to their websire and it talked about kick-off events. You had to fill out an interest survey.
Tatanka49

Postby halijusapa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:42 pm

If I read it right, don't you need a Garmin Colorado to play wherigo? If so, it may not get too many people, at least on the GC forums, it seems to be getting a rep as the "Edsel" of GPSr's (and is pretty pricey too!)

It seemed a little complicated for me and hopefully the NUMB3RS episode isn't indicative of what that game is about because in my view it kind of gave it a black eye.....
halijusapa

Return to GeoCaching