[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Cache Stats?

Cache Stats?

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Cache Stats?

Postby paulo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:34 pm

There might be nothing i would like to see more than rolling out an improvement to this cache rating script i've seen coded for GreaseMonkey.

I'll start from the beginning. There is an Add-on for Firefox called greasemonkey. If you don't use firefox, that's something we can address in another thread. Greasemonkey lets you add scripts that will change how a website looks as well as modify functions. There are scripts that change the way gmail looks and even how geocaching.com pages are rendered. There is one script that for gc.com that adds a rating bar for you to rate caches that others can see. It is very simple and i believe was just a 1-5 star kind of rating. This might be leaning too much towards Terracaching, but i'd like to see what you all think about it. I didn't just say the T word, did i?

I'll post a couple links below, to the software you'd need to set it up. But if there is anything that i'd like to reach out to coders for, it would be this. I could provide any hosting needed to accumulate stats, even for testing. Check it out let me know what you think.

If you have a pc or linux box, how are you not using this already?

paulo
Site Admin

Re: Cache Stats?

Postby addisonbr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:40 pm

I can see how a peer rating system would have some promise in general. Especially if you could perform refined searches for caches that achieve certain rating criteria; when going on vacation it would be nice to search not just on location and difficulty but also on awesomeness. I don't know much about the technical side of this stuff, so I don't know how much of that can be done with a script.

According to the above link only 23 people have installed it since November, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that none of the caches I've logged have ever received a vote.

PS - Is there a specific reason why this thread is behind the "members only" wall?
addisonbr

Return to GeoCaching