[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Interesting news regarding Groundspeak alternatives...

Interesting news regarding Groundspeak alternatives...

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Interesting news regarding Groundspeak alternatives...

Postby addisonbr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:04 am

addisonbr

Re: Interesting news regarding Groundspeak alternatives...

Postby halijusapa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:21 pm

HMM, does "Navicaching" still exist (not that it was anywhere near even the size of Terracaching)?

Weird thing about the "opencaching.com" site, the symbol looks like a "broken" version of the Groundspeak logo and it's in German, I wonder why are they only going to have the site there? I put it into Yahoo Babel Fish which said, "Soon also under a stump in your proximity: Free of charge, openly, in your language!"

It will be interesting to see if Garmin's "opencaching" takes off(especially if Terracaching people go there, while a lot of people are on both gc.com and Terracaching, many Terracachers were "Grounspeak refugees" so to speak (Slicing Dan comes to mind.....), also especially given Groundspeak's past penchant to try and quash competition via "legal means" instead of true "improvements".....thanks for sharing!
halijusapa

Postby lefalaf » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:06 pm

I'm all for competition in all things, however I do have to wonder if any of these sites will truly be able become as successful as GS / GC.com. Geocaching.com has become so large that in a way, it would be like trying to unseat Windows. Even if the alternatives are free, have fewer rules, a different review mechanism, etc., there are things to keep you there like all your history, the GC social network, familiarity, a HUGE database, and so on. I couldn't see starting over at a new site with all that entails, and personally I don't have any issues with GC.com. Sure there are occasional quirks and challenges, but overall GC.com works fine in my experience, and considering how much they have to manage (technically, socially, ...), I think if works rather well. Like anything in life, I try not to sweat the small stuff and enjoy all the positive things that GC.com and the communities of cachers bring me.

The concept of using crowdsourcing to police cache quality as some of these sites allude to is intriguing. In practice however, I am not sure if it would work. A good cache is different things to different people. If given the power, some would ban LPCs, others bushwhacking, still others rappelling, and some may decide that a certain sketchy part of town shouldn't be used. It could go on and on. And it could become like the differences between different GC reviewers multiplied. Or will it become like a high school style popularity contest where only the most popular types of caches (or cachers) win? I certainly hope not, but I don't want to find out.

Or as in the case of terracaching's approach - your sponsors are your reviewers. Thus your friends are going to review your caches. Legal placement aside for the moment, what friend is going to say, "no, your cache sucks and I'm not going to approve it." Does one truly have the right to reject based on their subjective opinion? With no guidelines, who decides what is valid and what is not? GC's guidelines are pretty reasonable and for the most part are grounded in reason. (Yes, there are certain exceptions...)

Also, what's to stop the devolution of the community from the core goal of "quality" caches down to "non-quality" caches as friends of friends of friends join up and effectively "anyone" is a reviewer. I would speculate that this would get like waymarking.com where there are great locations there, but they are obscured by the mass of listings for each and every fast food joint. It loses meaning for me when you can go down a street and nearly every address is a waymark.

Just my opinion, but I can't really see the benefit of alternative listing sites, 10 years into the game. To me, it only serves to fragment the listings and the community. I do question how they will stay afloat with no real funding source too. If I join a site, I like to know that my history will remain around for a while. At $30, GC is a steal for what we get and I'd happily pay more. I don't begrudge anyone the right to join up at an alternative community and to have fun doing it and I wish them success. It's just not for me. I'll stick with GC.

Jon
lefalaf

Postby addisonbr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:10 pm

addisonbr

Postby addisonbr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

addisonbr

Postby lefalaf » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:46 pm

lefalaf

Postby pelagori » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:27 pm

check out the second part of this log:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 1fc7ee3d34

by a visitor from overseas who tried a local terracache. not a good experience.

choice and alternatives are a good thing, but if the alternatives are just populated by caches that can't be published on groundspeak for one reason or another then why bother? generally the admin and the groundspeak rules make sense for a safe and legal game...
... (AKA Nick).
pelagori

Postby halijusapa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:37 pm

halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:33 am

addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:09 pm

halijusapa

Return to GeoCaching