[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Signing the logs

Signing the logs

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Signing the logs

Postby mmacgown » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:42 pm

I've noticed on a couple of my micros that cachers admit they are not signing the logs. I just started to delete them, since they are not following the rules clearly stated on my cache pages that you will need a writing utensil that writes on Tyvek and to please sign the log. I email them to explain and ask that they return to sign it. No response on the request for those. But on some that are visiting the area, how would you handle it?
The following is an email I received today from someone who found my cache:

Hi mmacgown,

Just curious why you chose to delete the log of my find to your MAM's micro #61 - Old Bethpage cache? Was it because I didn't sign the log? If so, it surprises me that you'd want to remove my find without confirming that I actually found it or not. Is it really a rule that you have to sign the logs? Are there really a bunch of geocachers going around saying "I found this" without actually finding it? I suppose it's your cache and you can do as you please, but I'd sure appreciate it if you restored my find just so I can see where I've been.

For the record, it's inside the metal telephone pole cable cover in a tiny magnetic thimble-sized container. I was with the groomsmen and groom for my friends wedding and we were killing time until we had to get ready. We were running low on time, and I didn't want to mess up the origami folding needed to sign the thing. And I had a ball-point pen which apparently wouldn't work anyway.
This cacher only has 17 finds.
mmacgown

Re: Signing the logs

Postby gerkmax » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:20 am

If I doubt the find because they didn't sign the log, but they can verify the find.. I'd let them get it. Unless, finding AND opening the cache is part of the requirement.

There are caches were I've seen the container, but had trouble making the actual grab. I didn't log it because the grab is an "essential" requirement.
gerkmax

Postby Kbd71 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:40 am

I'm of the mind that a) I'm doing this to have fun, and b) the website drop-down clearly states you have "found it!", not "signed the log!". So I'm with Gerk; if they explain the situation and can prove they found it, I'd allow it.

I know there are people who adamantly refuse to allow logging unless it's been signed, no excuses. Which is their right, I suppose. But if I can't sign for whatever reason, pen that won't write on tyvek, out of ink, whatever, but I can prove I found it, and the CO doesn't allow it, I stop looking for their caches.

Again, I'm doing this for fun.
Kbd71

Postby addisonbr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:45 am

In a case like this, where the person seems clearly to have visited the cache and found the container, I would happily let the online log stand. I don't need someone's signature on a tiny rolled up piece of paper for me to confirm that they found the cache.

I'd feel differently for certain types of caches where there is a clearly critical step beyond just spotting the container - like a T5 cache placed 20 feet up in a tree, or if the container is a cryptex that must be solved... stuff like that. But otherwise, knowing that they searched for the cache and confirming that they found the right thing, I don't need their smudged pen signature. I'd like it - I save our old logbooks - but I wouldn't personally delete an online log over it.
addisonbr

Postby Sparrows_Gold » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:32 pm

I don't usually delete the log, if they didn't sign the log.
I might email them & see if they can describe the cache.

If I can't sign the log on a cache, I send the CO a photo!
Most of them don't even respond!

Sparrows_Gold

Postby mmacgown » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Here on LI there is a bunch of kids - teenagers that have taken up the game and basically are placing caches wherever they feel like it. And they don't think about whether or not it's private property or not. In addition, they are making their own rules when it comes to logging finds. This is what I got for recent logs from them:

Stupid Maple leaf lol. COuldn't sign log, but did find (I deleted his first log and then he went and logged it again.)

Foudn this one easy! Didn't sign (No pen!) TFTC!

Now on each one of my cache pages, especially my micros, the cacher is told to come prepared to write on Tyvek, so be sure to bring a writing utensil so they can sign the log.
Also, I find that not having a writing utensil is no excuse and I guess that is something we all had to learn. I've signed all the caches I've found, and as you know I've found a few of them. ;)

I asked NYAdmin's opinion on this iand here is his response:

First and foremost as the cache owner log maintenance is your job.
That said the guidelines state "Geocaches can be logged online as
Found once the physical log has been signed.".
http://www.geocaching.com/about/finding.aspx
Step 4 item 2 states the same thing.

Bottom line is its your cache and your call but a logbook is a
mandatory part of any physical cache so why shouldn't they use it.
mmacgown

Postby halijusapa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:44 am

Personally, if they can prove they found the cache with a photo or a detailed description of where it was, I let it go, but if not I agree with deleting it.
halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:41 pm

addisonbr

Return to GeoCaching