[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Interested in finding an "unpublished" cache?

Interested in finding an "unpublished" cache?

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Interested in finding an "unpublished" cache?

Postby abelisle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 pm

I just had a cache rejected because of the .1 mile (538 ft.) proximity rule when the reviewer determined that my cache was too close to the 2nd stage of a 4 part multi-cache (GCZRFT) How was I supposed to know? They only publish the coords for the 1st stage. Plus no one has made a find in 5 months.

My cache was entitled "How 'erratic' are you?" since it is close to a large glacial erratic boulder at the northern tip of Hunter Island, north of Orchard Beach (Bx.)

I think it's hidden in a clever place but some of you guys (esp. Behistun) are very clever finders. If you're in the vicinity, here are the coords: N 40 52 51.5, W 073 47 22.3. It's a small white pill canister. I realize you won't get official credit through Groundspeak, but I'm very curious to find out if what I think is a clever hide is actually quite mundane? The hint was: "How high is your reach?" It's a little wet around the GZ but the cache isn't in any water or submerged.

It must be very frustrating to create a great hide and have it rejected. It is for me.
abelisle

Re: Interested in finding an "unpublished" cache?

Postby addisonbr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:38 pm

addisonbr

Postby gerkmax » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:29 pm

I had a couple that fell into that same situation (hidden stages), and getting for any input as to which direction was difficult and frustrating. But... what can you do. Brett's got a good point, just do the basic work, and make sure that the spots are clear before doing all the work to find out it's "occupied".
gerkmax

Postby halijusapa » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Real shame is that the multi cache in question hasn't been found in A YEAR and 5 months, not 5 months (doesn't mean it's missing though, the hiders are really experienced/well respected and no DNF's listed since the last find, it's just a very long multi (we haven't tried it though I can tell from the description)); though I wouldn't be surprised if a stage or the cache is missing, the cachers are from Jersey but put a bunch of hides in Pelham Bay Park while biking through it during a visit to the female team member's mom in City Island; most of these hides have been muggled and they've archived.

Abelisle, you sound like just the person to "break the spell" and see if the cache is still there..... ;) Maybe if you don't find it it will be checked, turn out to be muggled, then archived and you get your cache published after all (somewhat tongue-in-check, I'm not wishing the multi to be gone......)
halijusapa

Postby abelisle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Actually I did look for it about 2 weeks ago and it was a DNF for me but I didn't post it in the log. I planned to go back and look again but my plans went awry. So I emailed the owner and asked her to check its status. I thought it was only 5.5 months since anyone posted anything about it?

I also sent a request to 2 other cachers I hold in high esteem about my situation and asked them if they could find it if they were in the vicinity and interested. That's the only way I can find out if what I think is a clever hide is really as clever as I think.

Wonder if we could have a sub-forum here on this site for us locals to post caches which don't meet the strict guidelines of Groundspeak. It would be unofficial of course but challenging and fun no less?
abelisle

Return to GeoCaching