[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Announcing... Dastardly Pathtags!

Announcing... Dastardly Pathtags!

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Announcing... Dastardly Pathtags!

Postby addisonbr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:31 pm

We hear you. Puzzle caches are frustrating and annoying. And some of the puzzles in New York are so hard it's just not fun. Plus, solving a mind bender at your desk just isn't the same as going for a nice walk outside. We hear you, we really do!

So, we're doing something about it. No, we're not going to stop publishing puzzle caches. No, we're not going to make the ones we publish any easier. And that seminar on how to solve puzzles? We want to do it, but it's still a few weeks off, at least. So what could we possibly be doing to ease the pain?

Why, issuing commemorative achievement pathtags to the most intrepid solvers among you, of course!

You may have stumbled across the list at some point before. For those of you unfamiliar, it rounds up some of the more puzzle-y of the puzzle caches in the city (although not every puzzle on the island is on the bookmark list - for example, my Rushmore cache isn't there). There are currently 34 caches listed, and they will serve as the basis for these awards.

To put it simply, find (or own) at least 15 of the caches on this list, and you become a "Platinum" level puzzler and earn yourself a Platinum Dastardly Pathtag! Find at least 30 of the caches, and you join the elite group of "Onyx" level puzzlers and get to own an extremely rare Onyx Dastardly Pathtag. Think of it like the Black Card for American Express. It drips with exclusivity.

Please join childofatom and I at at 6:30pm on April 29th, where we will distribute the charter tags. You are welcome to join us even if you don't "qualify" for a tag yet - it's probably a good place to get some tips on puzzle solving! Maybe a beer or two earns you a hint or two on a particularly maddening listing... :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 62,,1,0.74

Some random little fine print stuff... The contents of the Dastardly List are somewhat fluid, as puzzles are published and retired. To compile our initial list of qualifiers we only looked at the current list, but if you have finds for caches that used to be listed but now are not, it may still be possible to get credit for them - just shoot me an email and we'll take a look. Right now we're using 15 and 30, but those are "beta" thresholds - we may change them in the future. Also, right now the tags are being provided as gifts, but it's possible that in the future we may ask people to chip in a couple of dollars for their tags. It's hard for us to say, as we don't know how popular this will be. Also, this isn't going to be listed as an event cache. Don't come for the smilie. Come because you want to hang out with us!

Here's a sneak preview of the tags...

Want to see them more clearly? Show up on the 29th!
addisonbr

Re: Announcing... Dastardly Pathtags!

Postby addisonbr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:35 pm

addisonbr

Postby Sakiman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks for the info Brett and Thanks for the honors!! mmacgown & I plan on making it in for the gathering. There is one thing I was surprised about... that you didn't make the gathering into a puzzle that we'd have to figure out where it was taking place :o ;) . That being said, don't change your plans now that I've opened my big mouth. See you on the 29th!!
Sakiman

Postby mblatch » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:23 pm

I am going to try to make it there. Perhaps I can make Onyx by then. ;)
mblatch

Postby ruthny » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:23 am

I am thrilled to be included on the list of Puzzlers, and heart-sore that I will be out of town on business on the date of the event. I look forward to any opportunity to meet and spend time with other Geocachers, and Brett and Cully have created a unique reason for beer, laughter, and conversation, four blocks from my house, no less. But, I can't cry over spilled beer, so I wish you all a great time! (Maybe we can Skype me in, if the bar has wireless...) I also will attempt to add at least one more dastardly puzzle to my tally before I leave town, just for the heck of it. And maybe this summer, there will be another opportunity for a gathering!
ruthny

Postby Child Of Atom » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:48 pm

Hmmmm.... judging by my inbox this evening it looks like some people are working to "level up!" Excellent!!
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby gerkmax » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:33 pm

Just made platinum! See you on the 29th!
gerkmax

Postby GeoMiss » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:43 pm

I will be out of the country at a wedding - Mexico to be exact. I am bummed I will miss the event!

I am still plugging away at these dastardlies... hoping to qualify for the pathtag soon.

Happy Caching!
GeoMiss

Postby EagleTrax » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 am

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone tomorrow night. See ya there. :D
EagleTrax

Postby addisonbr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:33 am

Don't look now, but it's

Will anyone show up at Deacon Brodie's with a FTF in hand?!?

pelagori = teh awesome
addisonbr

Postby IthacaDoodle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:55 pm

Regards from Ithaca to all the dastardly cachers - I would have loved to have come to this event as some of the caches on this list are among my very favorites. I'm proud to be so close to qualifying for a pathtag and will hope to reach that milestone on my next visit to NYC in June. In the meantime, I've placed a new cache here in Ithaca for the 10 Years! event that is quite dastardly if I might say so. I'll post a link here when it is published to see if you agree.
IthacaDoodle

Postby pelagori » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:43 pm

thanks, brett, for organizing this little get together! it was great to attend and get to meet some fellow puzzle fiends and put some faces to cachin' handles. thanks also for the tag(s - i got 2:-) - this is a great idea to promote NYC's fine puzzles - i think we saw more puzzle action in the last two weeks than in the previous 6 months!

congrats to the solvers (ruthny) and finders (one4all + eltoro76) of "the deacon's challenge". i guess we picked a bad groundspeak day for the event and the cache notifications never went out. i hope those who tried it had some fun with this tribute to the event.
... (AKA Nick).
pelagori

Postby Kbd71 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:43 am

I really wish I could have made the event. :( It was rough deciding on whether to attend or make it home in time to read my 2 year old to sleep. Green eggs and ham won out. I hope everyone had a good time.
Kbd71

Postby Child Of Atom » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:23 am

Amazing to meet everyone last night! I think I missed one or two people, for which I am incredibly sorry, but it was awesome to chat with everyone put some faces to some login names and of course to get grilled about how I build these things!

For those that left early you should check the logs for GC27NAV to see our continuing adventures, I didn't make it to my bed until nearly 2 am!

Thanks again to everyone, and I look forward to the next event!
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby Eltoro76 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks Brett for putting together this gathering. Had a good time catching up with familiar cachers and finally meeting those I only knew through logs. Glad to see you had a good turnout and always fun to share stories over brews. Seems like I just missed out on the cardio part of the evening as sure it was entertaining. Thanks again and also for the tags.
Mauricio aka ElToro76
Eltoro76

Next

Return to GeoCaching