[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Geocaching (specifically urban caching) on L&O SVU

Geocaching (specifically urban caching) on L&O SVU

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Geocaching (specifically urban caching) on L&O SVU

Postby halijusapa » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:50 am

This Wednesday's episode of Law and Order SVU begins with two Manhattan geocachers and caching takes up the first 3-4 minutes of the show.

It showed it, specifically Manhattan "urban" caching, in about the most unflattering light that it can. I have a YouTube link posted here that someone put up there so you can see, but it not only made the "FTF race" seem a lot geekier than it really is, but it later explains geocaching in an inaccurate way that seems very "un-family-friendly" and makes it sounds like a public nuisance. I admit the hider has a very "funny" caching name, but not one I think gc.com would allow. And while some of his other hides they show emulate the spirit of Cache Ninja or Splicing Dan, I'm not sure they'd ever be allowed even years ago. It's a shame as this is a very family-friendly activity and this goes a long way towards turning off parents learning of this activity through this episode of ever thinking of taking their kids out to enjoy the game.

What I like about this YouTube post (since there are others on there) is the poster ended it with with a disclaimer describing what geocaching REALLY is and how many families and others from all walks of like enjoy it, it's only the 3-4 minute part of the episode that deals with caching so it's pretty short. Thank you Lisa (my DW) for finding this one:

halijusapa

Re: Geocaching (specifically urban caching) on L&O SVU

Postby addisonbr » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:18 am

addisonbr

Postby hallycat » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Wow, that was real huh? I won't watch the youtube at work but I heard someone mention the episode the other day and thought they were kidding.
hallycat

Postby MarkSun » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Harry (of HaLiJuSaPa) told me of this posting so I read & watched the clip.... OMG :evil: that is how any activity that is not well know to the general public get a bad rep. I am sure somewhere down the line we(any goecacher) might/will get looked as weird or nuts - more so then usual so then usual because the peso we r talking to saw that 2-3 min clip. So true first impressions are long lasting & this like can so harm.

I agree groundspeak (gc.com) might have a problem w/ the "name". by then I see Harry found a few. I guess it was in the "spelling LOL" . As for FTF when I was at an event in NNJ -- Geocoinfest Multi Event Oct 2007.While there I chatted w/ "Peconic Bay Sailors". Brian told me how he wife Deb was part of another geocaching sight that is more competitive about things like FTF's & even not a FTF, who found this cache before who.

BUT I know for most of us gc.com is the "gospel" of "the sport where you are the search engine"

Mark

So much Parsley, So little Thyme,
Wisdom emparted to me - by ,
Roamsry, the wise old Sage

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
- Douglas Adams
MarkSun

Postby peeves79 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:02 pm

I thought the video was hilarious. But since I don't watch that show I was wondering did the Master B geocacher murdered that chick or not?

I thought the violence in the beginning was a bit much but it is Law and Order and violence sells. This is entertainment not some documentary on the history channel or preview of what to do on you next trip to X city on the travel channel. Like I said, just watch the clip, I am curious to find out who left the FTF prize behind?
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby Child Of Atom » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:12 am

I didn't watch the whole show either, just the first 40 minutes or so, but they pretty quickly moved away from the cachers and started looking at the victim's drug smuggling boyfriend, and her clearly emotionally disturbed father.

I think its interesting that the caching world at large found this so objectionable, the GC.com forums, and podcacher for instance were all up in arms about the portrayal. A lot of NYC cachers though have been pretty unphased. Our collective reactions seems to be a lot like yours... yes it was ugly and unseemly, but kind of funny in the end.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby BLAA » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:41 am

BLAA

Postby Bonick0 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:38 pm

I found the video hilarious and I don't think geocaching was presented in a very bad light. They made it sound like a super geeky somewhat illegal activity, but at least "we are geocachers - we don't kill people." Now who wants to go in a dark tunnel with me? And don't forget your head light.
Bonick0

Postby halijusapa » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:25 pm

HMM, looks like Numb3rs did the same thing last night at the opening. But at least this time:

1) They didn't say it was geocaching (though of course she did have a GPS and mentioned coffee cans and boxes)

2) Instead of two "uber-geeks", it was a pretty hot looking babe :) (who was showing caching to her boyfriend :()
halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:50 pm

addisonbr

Postby lekogm » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:55 pm

--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby gerkmax » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 pm

gerkmax