[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Staten Island

Staten Island

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Staten Island

Postby Tatanka49 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Paulo and I did some caching on Staten Island this past weekend. Lots of nice caches, easy to get to (right up Hyland Blvd) and even some earth caches. But no one caches there! We hit caches that were untouched (not even a DNF) since before the summer. So much for recruiting SI cachers to our happy little band.
Tatanka49

Re: Staten Island

Postby lekogm » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:06 pm

I've been thinking about planning a bike trip out to there to do 1776 Phase 2 British Juggernaut-Revolutionary War (GC12PCB) and hit a few of the other caches while there. And that got me thinking, "Maybe I should plan it as an event cache. We can all meet at the Staten Island Ferry terminal and bike out from there." And now with that said......... April 26th. Staten Island Bike Caching! I'm going to make an event cache and then post discussion in the event forum for it. This will hopefully be a good time.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby hallycat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:58 am

I didn't know there was more to SI then the highway to get to NJ :D
Wait, I had to use a bathroom once and did get off the SI Expwy.

That sounds like fun though...going to look at the caches now.
hallycat

Postby Tatanka49 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:58 pm

A biking event. Wow...I like it! I've never seen anything like that on any of the event postings. And now you will have a 'support' group...maybe setting up a lunch at a park along the way, or something.
Tatanka49

Postby lekogm » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:55 am

sadly, i can't make the biking part of it an event cache. i'm going to have to do some more research about the island and figure out a good time and place to do lunch.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby Tatanka49 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:37 am

OK. so you finds a nice park in SI--roughly in the lower half of the island...there are a few units of the NPS there. You set a date and a time --say 12-4 pm. You advertise it as a pot-luck picnic. That gets the people there. On the original cache request, you mention that there are lots of caches in the area and that there is a nature center, bike paths, etc. It gets approved. You then go back and edit that everyone is encouraged to bring bikes and suggest that the nearby caches are bike accessible.
Tatanka49

Postby muffy53 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:36 am

I picked up quite a few over the summer on SI, but there are still many for me to find. I will be looking for the bike trip cache. Sounds like fun.
muffy53

Postby lekogm » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:31 pm

Does anyone have any information about Wolfe's Pond Park (N 40° 31.097 W 074° 11.357)? Specifically where the BBQ area's might be? I'm looking at doing an event out on Staten Island, as mentioned above, and I want to find a good location where lunch can happen for everyone who wants to come and this looks like a great place. I have not been out to this park so I was hoping someone might have some more information. Thanks guys!
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby buttaskotch » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:51 am

buttaskotch

Postby lekogm » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:16 pm

Oh, this will be a go. I just need to get down to SI and look at a park and see where we can stash people.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby majormajor42 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Everyone. I'm sure some of you know that the 5 boro bike tour is the following morning. Anybody here from SI wanna let me sleep on your floor? :D
majormajor42

Return to GeoCaching