[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - FTF Etiquette

FTF Etiquette

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

FTF Etiquette

Postby BLAA » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Here's a FTF Etiquette question...

Recently a cache was archived - at that time the CO said in the log that it was being muggled too often but that he has placed a new cache GCXXXXXX nearby - the description of "nearby" was sufficiently clear to me that I knew where the new cache is. So what do I do? Do I go out and sign the log BEFORE the cache is published?

Well, I didn't go out - it seemed that going after a cache before it was published might be viewed as wrong. Or is it? After all from publicly available information on geocaching.com I was able to discern where the cache will be. it was placed and submitted but was awaiting review and publishing.

Any way I waited until the publication notice went off on my phone - from the cache name, I knew it was the replacement ... I was there in less than 10 minutes and got the FTF. So now that there is not a specific FTF race on - I thought I would start off this topic and see if there are any do's and don'ts in the FTF Race.
BLAA

Re: FTF Etiquette

Postby Harry Dolphin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:05 pm

Nope. First to sign the log is FTF. Muggle who discovers it. Coords given to friend before publishing. Reused log book. One of my best FTFs was a brute force! Cache was out two weeks, and no one had solved the second part puzzle. So I brute forced it! Annoyed the heck out of the 3rd & 4th to find. Beat them by fifteen minutes. Hee hee hee. (Not to mention the one I espied the co hiding... But we won't get into that one...)
Harry Dolphin

Postby gerkmax » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Harry's post brings up a question I've had... Is it "fair" if the CO gives a friend the coords to a cache before it's published? Or let's say the friend signs the log AS the cache is being placed?
gerkmax

Postby EastVillageFamily » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:00 pm

I personally don't feel it's fair to sign the log before the cache has been published on GC.com. Guessing when that might happen and getting to GZ are part of the challenge. Signing the logbook as it's being hidden doesn't even qualify as 'finding' anything.
That's how I play. If that means the Dolphin signs his name first, then so be it. ;)
EastVillageFamily

Postby addisonbr » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:20 pm

addisonbr

Postby addisonbr » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Ooh, I forgot something. A couple of notes about logging FTF's online...

I always do what I can to let the FTF log the find online first. I consider it a respectful gesture on my part, and I am always psyched when other people show me the same courtesy.

I also do what I can to log my FTFs online promptly, so that other people know that the cache has been claimed. I think it's a fair and sporting thing to do. (I've even gone so far as emailing other cachers after being STF on a cache which is taking the FTF a while to log online - since I like to wait for the FTF to post first, other hounds don't have any other way of knowing that the FTF is no longer in play... The heads up has invariably been well appreciated.)
addisonbr

Postby Tatanka49 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:08 am

1. The only good FTF's are those after it's been published. Too many close friends have been posting FTF's on some of the newer caches in Queens. Makes me think they were found before they were hidden...but hey, to each his own.

2. I think I've had 2 FTF's...my first was in North Carolina (the morning it was posted) and the other in PA where it had not been found for almost 2 weeks (including by ODragon). I got all sorts of notes from him as to where it was.

3. If my caching proceeds as I expect it to, I will hit 2,000 finds in late August/early September. I will probably do a Dinering event in my honor. If any of you are planning a T49 or JP series, thanks for the honor but I will leave it to others for the FTF's.

J
Tatanka49

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Last edited by EastVillageFamily on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastVillageFamily

Postby addisonbr » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:50 pm

addisonbr

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:55 pm

We should not be searching for caches that have not been approved and published by a geocaching.com Admin. I don't think there should be any argument about that.
Last edited by EastVillageFamily on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastVillageFamily

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:00 pm

EastVillageFamily

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:02 pm

EastVillageFamily

Postby addisonbr » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:09 pm

If you felt that I acted inappropriately regarding the UN I wish you had mentioned it to me privately. I told what I thought was a sort of funny anecdote but left out all details. I think you could have made your argument against hunting for unpublished caches without supplying them to the world. Thanks.
addisonbr

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:15 pm

I have removed all my comments about what happened near the UN. You are right, I should not be publishing any details about that.
EastVillageFamily

Postby peeves79 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:17 pm

I don't like how this thread is going. So watch it you two or I am going to both give you guys a time out!

(I know I am not the moderator to this board but somebody has to police the police)

As for FTF I don't really care to much. Most of my FTFs were with groups after an event. I know some people have a problem with that but if the cache owner is with you and all for it, encouraging the group than I am fine by it. The only FTF race I was in was with Peter and the rock with battling Toyotas. The Toyota I was in got there first because we were locals in the area and new where to turn. It kind of upset the occupants of the other Toyota that we didn't wait to share the FTF. I was a bit surprised. I guess it meant more to them than to me. Since then I have been put off from racing for first to finds. I will leave it for those who get a high for doing it. I just want to be skilled enough (but mostly lucky enough) just to find the damn thing.

That was one big smile!
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Next

Return to GeoCaching