[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Check you cache logs

Check you cache logs

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Re: Check you cache logs

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:10 pm

SO, since I just replaced all my logs with new ones, it happens to be very easy for me to check this. And this gentleman from Germany has left no physical log for any of our caches that he has claimed. And he has claimed to have found 9 of them. I expect that he may not have signed the log for any of the 43 NYC caches that he has claimed.

Now I can easily delete his logs. But shouldn't we all complain to Groundspeak about such a Geocacher?
EastVillageFamily

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:12 pm

The geocacher in question is lilagul:
EastVillageFamily

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:37 pm

If you look at his caching history, you can see how he visited Alabama and Kansas back in October, returning home to Germany to log caches in between. Then back in September, it seems he went to Iowa to geocache, logging only 16 virtual caches.... :o
Turns out he has logged 150+ virtual geocaches mostly from around the US. What a great way to boost your numbers! Does anyone know of a virtual GC owner who is still actually checking the email?
EastVillageFamily

Postby Autorita » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:41 pm

Crap, I had a post all written up and deleted it so here's the cliff notes! :o

-Thanks EVF for the heads up on Lil and Walk through Water
-I have removed Lil from the cache since he did not sign the log
-Maybe we need to create a blacklist to reference when checking names and logs of cachers? For suspicious things like this?

Thanks for keeping a heads up on this!
Cachin' yer caches.
Autorita

Postby BLAA » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:04 am

We are not actively monitoring our caches for bogus logs - if, in the future, something strikes as off we might investigate it and delete the logs. We haven't deleted any yet.

In fact I noticed one cacher who was logging caches including some which were known to be missing and were temporarily archived - his/her logs explicitly said that they did not sign the log, but that they came to the area and looked around .. here is the log they always seemed to use

hello geocacher!
my job shows me the hole world.
and so i can visit a lot of caches around the world.

i am a geocacher exactly like you.
the difference is that I do not write in the book. for me it´s not necessary.
i saw all that you would show me.
if that is not enough for you, you can delete my log.
it´s no problem for me.

greetings
just-a-cache

Brazen, huh?

They didn't log any of our caches - if they did, we probably would have bounced them.
BLAA

Postby addisonbr » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:10 am

I guess that log takes some of the guesswork out of it!

I was bored so I flipped through his finds and it actually looks like he also hit NYC a couple of years ago, although he just signed his name in the online logs back then. No idea if he was armchair caching in those days or not.

Hunh. So funny.
addisonbr

Previous

Return to GeoCaching