[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Extreme Geocaching

Extreme Geocaching

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Extreme Geocaching

Postby Child Of Atom » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 pm

I've been reading a lot about "extreme" geocaching the past few days, mainly looking at the stuff that do. I am especially intrigued/terrified by (you'll need to be a premium member to see that link it is a members only cache) that purports to require a Geiger counter and a hazmat suit in order to find. Does anyone know of a good "Extreme" cache in this area?
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Re: Extreme Geocaching

Postby lekogm » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:44 pm

well i know what i'm doing the next time i go to frederick now. If only my friend there wasn't going out of the country.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby EastVillageFamily » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:30 am

I think that extreme geocaching was effectively stopped in NYC by 9/11.
At one time there were some caches on the superstructure of several bridges, there was at least one cache on the underside of a river pier that you had to kayak to at low tide, and a few in and around train tunnels.
Search for Splicing Dan's old archived caches, the bans on these activities sent him to Terracaching.com

I think "Fear" on Staten Island is sill active. I've always wanted to find a group of folks to do that one...
EastVillageFamily

Postby Child Of Atom » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:41 am

I didn't figure there'd be any left in the city, but maybe upstate somewhere? is indeed still active, though it is coming up to a year since it was last checked on by Splicing Dan, and 2 years 7 months since it had an actual find logged. It's had three trackable items trapped in it all that time too. Maybe this is the one!

Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:09 am

I was going to go with the most recent group to attack this cache, but wound up being out of town that weekend unfortunately. It's not a 5/5 - it's a 3/4.5 - but maybe it fits the bill.

addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:35 pm

halijusapa

Postby tomflushing » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:02 pm

I found stage one of fear but was unable to decipher clues for stage two .You need a group for that cache and I would be intrested in joining that group but please note in my humble opinion you will have to make several trips back and forth to the cache- it is not a one day find!
tomflushing

Postby EastVillageFamily » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:13 pm

There are 2 extreme caches we watch, one with morbid fascination, the other because we might actually do it some day:

- We don't have the resources to do this one :o

- Sounds like a good vacation from urban caching :lol:
EastVillageFamily

Postby gipsie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:37 am

I have done a cache or two by the CO of that cache. They are called Psycho Urban caches and are really quite fun. If you notice on the page for the cache that requires a haz-mat suit, it says not to purchase a suit until you complete stage ? I am not completely convinced that you will need the suit. The CO's are legends in the Extreme Geocaching world. They have had me in caves, rappelling off of mountains, underground in the city. Super cool! :ugeek:
gipsie

Postby Child Of Atom » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:54 am

I'm in SC visiting with my family and am attempting several caches that would fall into this category. First was a ten stage multi night-cache that involves rock climbing, some wading, and PLENTY of other surprises. I won't spoil it. But there are stages that the CO (who lives nearby) has infrared cameras at so that he knows when someone is attempting it to come down and watch them. It was a TRUE 5-5. And truly extreme.

I'm not sure if the others I have planned are "extreme" but they are tough ones I think. Today I am doing , a 4 mile hike and a 10 stage multi with puzzles based around the 10 Backpacking essential tools. It's only a 5-4.5 though. We'll see how it goes. Tomorrow it is a 5-5 kayak tour of a swamp.

Child Of Atom

Return to GeoCaching