[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Child Waypoints

Child Waypoints

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Child Waypoints

Postby lekogm » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:36 am

So as I am traveling the northeast right now and caching along the way, I've been thinking about child waypoints. I don't really know where I'm at sometimes and I always say, "Hmm... a child waypoint would be great right now." This realization came mainly after my recent trip to DC where I couldn't remember how to get to the nearest subway stop. And that's when I realized that a lot of people don't use child waypoints and as a visitor to strange and unfamiliar place, you can get lost. With that said, I was wondering what people would think about adding in child waypoints for caches for subway/bus stops and other nearby things that can help orientate people unfamiliar with the neigborhood or place they might be going.

What do you think?
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Re: Child Waypoints

Postby addisonbr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:17 pm

I've never heard the term "child waypoint" before - although I've got a sense for it from context, in case I'm missing something could you tell me more about what it means?
addisonbr

Postby Tatanka49 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:57 pm

I agree. What's a child waypoint? I've cached in 18 states and never heard the term.
Tatanka49

Postby lekogm » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Child Waypoints, or Additional Waypoints, are waypoints that are added to a cache page as stages of a multi-cache, reference points, trail heads, and parking areas. I've used them personally on a cache i've placed in CT, GC1927P, to identify where people should park as well as what trails to take to get to the cache. I've also used them to mark entrances to parks that were a little off the beaten path, GC14A8B. I know that Five Star New York and I believe all the 1776 caches have them as well.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby addisonbr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:43 pm

I do like parking waypoints. I haven't spent a lot of time caching outside of the five boroughs, but when I do I'm generally out of my element so a little help on the starting line for a big hike is appreciated.

I don't see it quite as useful for urban caching - if every city cache includes a few additional waypoints for nearby public transportation, it could get super cluttering for those who download pocket queries. Maybe the Metro group should hide a simple cache, and for that cache include a waypoint for each of the subway stops (etc.) in the system... Visitors could download that cache and its waypoints to their GPSrs if they want to have some help finding their way around.
addisonbr

Postby lekogm » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:20 pm

true, we could make a POI file or something for the subway system. my problem in DC was that I walked like 3 miles and was like, "crap, how do i get to the metro station?" i've had similar experiences in boston but it's less dense there and i'm more familiar with the "city" so finding my way to another T stop was easy.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby Bonick0 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:41 pm

Someone already mapped out the subway system on google earth . It just needs to be converted into downloadable waypoints. The maps looks pretty spectacular when it's fully loaded - with color coded lines and all the stations.
Bonick0

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:04 pm

In an urban setting, particularly in NYC, I think figuring out your particular method of getting there is part of searching out the cache. Unless finding the cache or solving the puzzle requires you to go to that particular station anyway.
Several years ago I edited the Google Earth MTA Subway map and converted it to gpx; then loaded it into my Garmins. I find it more useful for when you want to go home quickly, than for finding caches. There are Google Earth station maps for Metro North, the LIRR, and the NJ Transit trains too.
EastVillageFamily

Postby Tatanka49 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:54 am

I like the mta.info site and the link to Regional Transportation. But in your starting and ending points and it gives you three different ways of getting there. Some are routes I would never think of, but they have worked extremely well.
Tatanka49

Postby halijusapa » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:42 am

I have learned of a great site, www.hopstop.com

What it lets you do is enter 2 NYC addresses and will then tell you either approximate time/cost of a cab or give you subway directions, including walking (and you can tweak it for more walking vs. more subway transfers). It will not let you enter lat/long coordinates unfortuantely, but it otherwise does a pretty good job. I think (but never tried it for this, I learned of it at work to direct management to NYC meetings after they get off Metro North at Grand Central) you can plug Westchester locales and get Metro North added in, but I don't believe (unfortunately and surprisingly since it's much bigger) they've put the LIRR or NJ Transit into it yet (the MetroNorth part is a beta as well if I know it right).
halijusapa

Postby lekogm » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:03 am

you can use latitude and longitude with hopstop.com
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby halijusapa » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:39 pm

halijusapa

Postby lekogm » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:54 pm

if i remember correctly, hoptstop uses decimal degrees instead of degrees, minutes, seconds or degrees and minutes.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby MarkSun » Thu May 08, 2008 10:58 pm

I just read the first post & a few of the replies.. I usually pop a few waypoints when I on gpo off trail, so I can (if need) get back to the trail).

I did not know what Child Waypoints are so I Googled & go the link http://www.gsak.net/help/hs40500.htm

OK now I need to figure out how to get my geocaching stas bar here

Mark

So much Parsley, So little Thyme,
Wisdom emparted to me - by ,
Roamsry, the wise old Sage

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
- Douglas Adams
MarkSun

Postby ODragon » Fri May 09, 2008 10:50 am

ODragon

Return to GeoCaching