[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - What camera do you use?

What camera do you use?

Geocaching and Photography

What camera do you use?

Postby paulo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:46 pm

Recently just got into digital photography, bought my first DSLR only 4 months ago. I have switched over to digital and have not looked back at film since.

Using a D40 and a D300 now, along with Nikon glass.

I subscribe to the Ken Rockwell ways of digital photography, you can enjoy his site at

Another good resource is DP Review
paulo
Site Admin

Re: What camera do you use?

Postby peeves79 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:06 pm

I was using a N90s film camera since 03 but bought a D70 when it first came out. I still think it kicks the but out of the other nikon DSLRs. Have not shot film since. Am loosely looking to pick up a smaller Canon point and shoot digital to keep in my bag all the time.

Matt :ugeek: aka peeves79
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby peeves79 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:07 pm

I also like Ken Rockwell's website. Nice and scientific like a geek likes! :ugeek:
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby hukilaulau » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:42 pm

A few years ago I was using an Olympus (Can't remember the model) which I loved, but it got stolen. I bought a Kodak Z650 as a replacement but I've never been happy with it. Later this week I'm going to B&H to get a Canon S5. I like having at least a 10x zoom. Any thoughts on this model?
hukilaulau

Postby paulo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:04 am

paulo
Site Admin

Postby hukilaulau » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:45 pm

I read Ken's website after my last post. I'm convinced that the D40 would be my first choice, but I'd have to get the longer lense wth it and that bumps the total price up to around $800. I can't quite justify that right now. I looked up reviews on the Kodak that I've been using and everyone agrees that it sucks at the longer ranges, so it's not just me. The Canon S5 gets pretty good reviews so I guess I'm going to go ahead with that. I'll post some photos as soon as I can!
hukilaulau

Postby lekogm » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:28 pm

I've got a Kodak Easyshare 650 or something like that. While it gets the job done, I'd prefer to have a DSLR. But, until I win the lotto, I'm going to have to stick with this.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby MarkSun » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:37 am

I have a Panosonic dig vid cam that has a memory card for stills. I also have a Kodak LS420 (older but still good).

As for film camera's I had 2 Olypus OM10's (both w/ power winder's) & 2 standard lenes, a 28-85 zoom, an 80-250 zoom, & a 10mm telephoto that went to a 1:1 macro. I had other attachments w/ them, BUT long storyt... in 1995 the bag w/ the 2 camera's weer stolen.

I now an (old) Nikkon Nikkamat, so old it uses a hand held light meter, I have a Cannon AE-1 Program & I believe I still have a Pentex SP500. The only difference between it & The Pentex K1000 is IF you go 1 notch over the 500/sec shutter speed on the SP500 the light meter still works. The best guess we have is it is the same camera as the K1000, & the just did not engrave the 1000/sec or verify it was really 1000/sec.

I also have (the prize of my collection) a Kiev88, which a Russian version of the Hasselblad 500CM. That means post WWII German Optics. IF it says Kiev in Russian letters it was not quite the best quality..... I guess what we'd call "seconds". IF Kiev is spelled in English letter's then is top quality & made for export. (In the 50's & 60's ??) this was to show the world that USSR was producing top quality consumer goods.

For those who do not know this camera (The Hassy) are seen (& used) a lot at weddings (ask me if you want to know about other medium format cameras like Minolta & Pentax) These cameras use 120 or 220 roll film. The Hasselblad & Kiev use
a 6x6cm (2.25") negative so 12/24 photos/roll. The Pentex 645 the negiative 6x4.5 (2.25x1.75"). This gives you 15/30 photo per roll.

The GREAT thing about the (120 film) camera's that I have mentioned is ALL have removable "backs" so you can have several backs pre-loaded & when one is finished, just put the "dark slide" (a metal plate that cover the film opening so you can remove the back from the camera) back in, & swap out a used back for a fresh one. This also means you can have 2 backs loaded w/ different film speeds & swap then mid roll ... say one w/ faster film speed (say ASA200 or 400) for indoors & one for outdoors w/ a slower film speed (ASA100).

I ramble on about this because I think there is ARE DIGITAL BACKS for these camera BUT Sadly way to expensive to even consider unless you are a professional photographer..

Sorry Paulo LOL , but you did ask :D

So much Parsley, So little Thyme,
Wisdom emparted to me - by ,
Roamsry, the wise old Sage

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
- Douglas Adams
MarkSun

Postby hukilaulau » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:39 am

Hey, MarkSun, I love it when people who really know there stuff respond to a thread. Even if I hardly understood anything you said, somewhere down the road I'm going to have a flash of insight, "OH, yeah! I know what that means now!" :geek:
hukilaulau

Postby hallycat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:45 pm

LOL Mark is a fanatic!!
I have a Nikon D70S but for caching I carry a little Panasonic Lumix, love that little camera.
hallycat

Postby paulo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:46 pm

Mark, This isn't you, is it?

paulo
Site Admin

Postby Foxx1090 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:55 pm

I use a Kodak Easyshare. But I did not upload any pictures on to geocaching.com
Foxx1090

Postby Foxx1090 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:59 pm