[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Puzzles Anyone?

Puzzles Anyone?

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Re: Puzzles Anyone?

Postby addisonbr » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:14 pm

It's interesting, because I myself love puzzles and am often disappointed by puzzle caches that are basically multis with virtual stages. That to me is more like simple task completion than puzzle solving (plugging numbers into an equation isn't much of a puzzle for me). Obviously the lines are a little blurry and these types of caches share characteristics with both listing types.

I also may be more likely to reference the cache page before searching for a cache than others. I wouldn't want to search for a Multi on my lunch break without knowing ahead of time about how many stages there are and about what the time commitment is. If I was just going by the nearest waypoint in my GPSr I'd run the risk of getting 2 or 3 stages deep into a 10-stage Multi before realizing it was an inappropriate choice for my opportunity window.

Alan2's excellent 1776 series is I think accurately listed as a Multi.
addisonbr

Postby peeves79 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:47 pm

bonick0 and I always check the cache pages for any multi cache we do. If we run out of paper caches and depend solely on the coords in bonick0's GPSr we will only do Traditional caches because you don't know if it is a simple step by step multi or if you need info/answer Qs/do math to get to the next step/final. I think it is good practice. It is a major gray line. Look at the LIE to me cache in Flushing Meadow listed as a multi. In its five stages you have a mix of step by step multi, offset multi and a bit of puzzle in it as well. I like this cache because it has a bit of everything. Now ask yourself is it a puzzle cache or a multi? I personally think it should be listed as a multi.
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby paulo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:36 pm

A cache that involves solving a riddle, interpreting clues(virtuals legs) and such, anything outside of enter coords and hunt it, should be a puzzle cache. A multi cache should be made up of just multiple traditional caches.

Listing something as a puzzle cache should be a flag to the gc'er to get themselves to the cache listing and find out on the details of the cache.

What would be the reasoning to do it another way?
paulo
Site Admin

Postby lekogm » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:55 pm

I don't see why they can't have a multi cache icon with an "O" on it sort of like the event cache icon with an "M" on it for mega caches.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby addisonbr » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:55 am

addisonbr

Postby addisonbr » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:59 am

Another puzzle by G.O. Cash - . It's a good one. As difficult as the puzzle is, there have already been close to 10 visitors in less than a month - pretty good sign that New York puzzlecaching has a heartbeat.
addisonbr

Postby addisonbr » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Brand new New York City puzzle by dhmbat - his first hidden cache of any kind as near as I can tell.

It's got a CITO theme and is well-executed. Great to have a new player in the New York puzzling scene...
addisonbr

Postby dhmbat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:16 pm

Thanks addisonbr. This was indeed my first cache of any type. I really enjoyed creating it and will definately be doing another in the near future. The CITO and recycling theme is in the spirit of Earth Day, 4-22. This puzzle allows people to learn some thing that will improve all of our lives in the future. I intend for all my future puzzles to have an underlying meaning or greater good but this was only my first so we will see what happens. I hope to see some of you working on this one in the few months. Congrats to addison he was the ftf on this one followed up by East Village Family. I noticed that these two families and a few others have provided a large number of non micros in the city; my fiance and I really appreciate all these cool caches we have recently started to find. Here is a link to my puzzle.
dhmbat

Postby Bonick0 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:08 pm

I just submitted a CSI mystery that will be available at the CITO event. It can either be solved by leg work or brain work, and hopefully everyone will enjoy learning the basics of what Peeves and I do for a living. I haven't heard from Admin yet, so keep your fingers crossed.
Bonick0

Postby addisonbr » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:03 pm

addisonbr

Previous

Return to GeoCache Hides