Five of Diamonds

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Five of Diamonds

Postby addisonbr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Well, this isn't about one of "my" hides, but this seemed like the right forum (paulo - yes? no?).

I just wanted to direct folks to an unexpectedly interesting cache in the Bronx. It's rather unloved - as of this morning it had been in place for over two months with just two smileys. Of all of the caches in the Bronx, none that were placed prior to 2008 have fewer than two people "watching" them - except for this one, which has precisely zero folks keeping an eye on it. Nobody cares.

A quick glance through the cache page and logs shows why this isn't surprising. It's not in a particularly pretty spot, and it's a nano container to boot (not even a micro as per the description). Ugh. I can see why this wouldn't be high on folks' lists. I wouldn't have bothered with it myself except that I was sort of in the area hunting a couple of new listings so thought I would hit it on my way home as I chip away at my "radius".

Turned out to be a big surprise. I think it's the best-kept secret in the Bronx. I'm here to ruin that, and spread the word. Can't think of a better place to do that than here. If you find yourself caching in the Bronx, it's worth a few minutes of your time.

My log has more information. The cache page is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 3fbe453ffd

Enjoy!
addisonbr

Re: Five of Diamonds

Postby Tatanka49 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:57 am

That's great! It was on my list of possibles for last week with Paulo, Paladin and Woodside (sounds like the SNL 'Tarzan, Tonto and Frankenstein skit, doesn't it) but was slightly too far out of our attack area. I look forward to this one.
Tatanka49

Re: Five of Diamonds

Postby halijusapa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:20 pm

To be honest, I had been debating (just myself, not with the kids, etc. though we were going to stop there before going to the Bronx Zoo during the Holiday Lights show before it got too dark) to check that cache out given that it's so close to home, but then given how much super inexperience I am learning from Paladin8's recent hides that I have with nanos combined with where it is I had made it the first cache ever on my ignore list.

But seeing this and then looking at your amazing log, I think I need to give it a 2nd look. Thanks for sharing your really cool story with everyone......(and to quote it, yes "it's not the 70s, it's not the 70s"......just a kid then but remember enough of it (i.e. on a 3rd grade trip circa 1975 or so to a museum we went as a side trip to a playground in Central Park and it was very dirty and graffitti-ridden.....when we went to the Central Park event last August and stopped at one of these playgrounds that memory came back to me and I was amazed at the difference! I don't think I'd even hunt for a few of my own current hides based on where they are if it was back then).

You will be pleased to know that I don't think the CO cares much about the indifference; I think they purposely placed it there for that reason. It's part of a 52-cache series that is mostly based in the northern suburbs of the Boston area (though one of the caches does require going to Florida) and they were hoping to "freak out" the people wanting to complete the series by putting them in the most "dangerous" heart of Yankees country (the woman of the CO team is from the Bronx, as noted in the cache description I think) :D
halijusapa

Return to GeoCache Hides