[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Cache archived due to bomb scare

Cache archived due to bomb scare

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Cache archived due to bomb scare

Postby *Jeremy* » Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 pm

http://coord.info/GCT750

May 20, 2011 log
Security guard told me the bomb squad had been called in in this cache sometime in the last 6 or 7 days, the entire street had been blocked off, and the micro was disposed of. **CO should archive this one.**

NY Admin archived it.
*Jeremy*

Re: Cache archived due to bomb scare

Postby Child Of Atom » Mon May 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Huh. I always expected this to happen in NYC eventually... but I expected a much bigger deal over it. Did this make the news at all? Heck, Gothamist covers every time a cop parks in a bike lane but having a street blocked off for a bomb scare didn't make their radar?
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby lefalaf » Mon May 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Shame - this was a great location b/c of what was at GZ. Fortunately 1056 folks :shock: got to log it while it lasted.
lefalaf

Postby *Jeremy* » Mon May 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Cache survived since 2006. It was a nice run.
*Jeremy*

Postby addisonbr » Mon May 23, 2011 8:11 pm

addisonbr

Postby Child Of Atom » Mon May 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Yeah... so several google searchers later I'm convinced that this is wishful thinking on the security guard's part. There's a news story for every paper bag that get left in Time's Square and this didn't make a single news outlet?

Searching "New york city" and geocache turns up exactly one pertinent story... the one from Popular Mechanics last week, and searching NYC and bomb gets me everything from that guy who threatened to bomb Karl Paladino to the questions about whether it is secure to post floor plans of the new World Trade Center buildings... but no mention of this. I think I smell shenanigans.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Tue May 24, 2011 10:20 am

I agree with CoA. This smells fishy. Reminds me of when the security guard down in Battery Park claimed that the parks were all private property and that they'd removed the caches. I get the sense that a lot of security guards pretty much hate geocaching in general.

I guess it's good to note though - if a security guard claims, truthfully or not, that a cache is a security risk and/or that the authorities have been called out, and if that word gets back to a reviewer by way of a log or email from a concerned cacher, the cache is going to be archived lickety-split. A point in favor of hiding caches that are away from view of security folks.
addisonbr

Postby hallycat » Fri May 27, 2011 11:59 am

Another had it not been for caching I would not have known that was there.
How many New Yorkers pass by that daily, or at least on either cross street and don't know it.
hallycat

Return to GeoCache Hides