A Diamond in the Rough

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

A Diamond in the Rough

Postby halijusapa » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:35 pm

I'm not one for overly pompous "self promotion" but I wanted to note one of our hides because it is in a very unique place that few New Yorkers know about. Here is the link: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 2ac4faa097

It's in Seton Falls park, which is more of a nature preserve than a park. It was recently renovated by the City with new trails, etc. We discovered it by accident, we were looking at a street map of Mt. Vernon to find something, the map included adjacent parts of the northern Bronx, and we saw this sizable park that we never heard of before so we decided to check it out.

It is truly an amazing place, especially considering where it is (thus the cache name). When you enter the park, there is a sign describing all the flora and fauna you will find in this place; the main reason we made this a multi is to insure people see this sign. At the cache site in the center of the park, you can really feel you are in the middle of the woods and not one of the most densely populated parts of the boros outside of Manhattan (NOTE: It is completely safe, though I wouldn't go there at night.......the cache has never been muggled). There's also a nice waterfall we point out in the cache description.

Again, I hope this hasn't come out as too "self-promoting" but I think you will find this place to be quite unique and encourage you to go find our cache!
halijusapa

Re: A Diamond in the Rough

Postby addisonbr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:34 pm

I took a side trip to visit this cache today and was glad I did. Unfortunately I couldn't stay very long - got a call as I was signing in and had to cut my adventure short. So I didn't get to see the waterfall. But it's a great slice of nature hidden in the Bronx - thanks for pointing it out.
addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:12 pm

I want to thank anyone who goes to find this, especially given that I had gotten a couple of logs, etc. in the past (including a recent DNF) from people telling me how unsafe it is, etc., which we do not agree (but as the FTF poster of the cache said, "it's still the Bronx so keep a wary eye out", nor would I suggest (as one person did to "show off" will not give that logger's name) going for it at night). And as addisonbr of all people would say (thinking of "Five of Diamonds"), "it's not the 70s, it's not the 70s, etc.", things are much better now in that regard.
halijusapa

Postby Foxx1090 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:38 pm

KEEP A CLOSE EYE OUT! GO WITH A GROUP OF PEOPLE MORE POWER IN THE NUMBERS!
Foxx1090

Postby halijusapa » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:44 pm

I will add a caveat here that I hadn't thought of before that has merit. There is a (I'm not sure if it is middle or high) school on the southwest end of the preserve, and I imagine when school starts/lets out many of the teens go through the park. So maybe (though not as much so as nighttime) those times are not good to go for the cache either. The times I've been there it's been pretty quiet, but they have generally been on daytime weekends and usually in the cooler months.
halijusapa

Postby halijusapa » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Just wanted to note to anyone interested in trying to find this that it appears Alan2 found it this weekend, the first finder in almost 5 months, so it is very much there (which he notes in his log)! It was great coincidence as I was planning to do a long overdue maintenance check sometime this weekend, especially since some people (2 in particular from Long Island for who it would be a bit of a trip to go in vain) asked about it at the Match the Face with the Name event.

And there's now a SECOND multi in this unique place, Alan2's Rattlesnake Creek cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... f56e767366

Enjoy!
halijusapa

Return to GeoCache Hides