[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Stupid Muggles!

Stupid Muggles!

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Re: Stupid Muggles!

Postby slukster » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Yeah, I have come to terms with the fact that I will have to replace many of my caches in NYC on a monthly basis. My "Looking for Love..." cache started off on the sculpture, moved to the nearby bus stop and now resides on a fire hydrant. I think it has been replaced 8 times in just over a year. Then there is my "POPS -1185 6th ave" cache which was nicely hidden behind a small tree but after some landscaping it is hanging out there for all to see and yet it hasn't been muggled since Sept. of '09. I was going to find a more secure spot but it has been doing so well out in the open that I figured I would see how much longer it would last.
slukster

Postby gerkmax » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 pm

That's a funny thing about some caches... the LESS hidden, the MORE ignored by muggles.
gerkmax

Postby buzzy_cacher » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:52 pm

The annoying thing is that even what you put the note in that explains everything it still gets plundered (like my Colonial Cache)
buzzy_cacher

Postby addisonbr » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:03 pm

addisonbr

Postby buzzy_cacher » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:11 pm

I totally agree. I mean come on people, how often do you find a tupperware box in the woods?!
buzzy_cacher

Postby Tatanka49 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:45 am

I still believe that there is more than one person who is NY Admin. There are too many inconsistencies--sometimes nice comments, other times abrupt. You can say in a nice way and no in a mean way. The approvals are often hypocritical identical hides or location types and one is approved and one is not--often same day. Ben Oreviewer) knows but as much as I've prodded him he won't tell me. When I first started in 2004, I was told that "I knew (personally)" NY Admin. I tried to squeeze it out but got nowhere. At the time, there was a rumor that it was JM Bella on Long Island but he said it was not.

I was told by a Groundspeak lackey at the Mid Western Geobash in 2008 that NY Admin will NEVER reveal them selves because "you know how NY people are" NY Admin has supposedly been 'threatened' a number of time. Hmm..how DO you do that if no knows who you are.

As for a NYC admin...if we can put together a sound argument why we need a NY admin, I would be willing to write a letter to Groundspeak as 'president', 'facilitator', 'founder' (whatever you want to call me) of NY Metro. We seem tyo have enough of a following that we may actually make some progress. What have we got to lose except an even more p-o'd NY Admin?
Tatanka49

Postby buzzy_cacher » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 am

So now all we need is a list of reasons why a NYC Reviewer would be good
buzzy_cacher

Postby ruthny » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:51 pm

I for one would be cautious about this unless there is someone out there, willing and able to be the "NYC Reviewer," who has a full and equal familiarity with all five boroughs. Otherwise it would be only a cosmetic improvement.
ruthny

Postby halijusapa » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:22 pm

halijusapa

Postby Child Of Atom » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:52 pm

I think there are two highly persuasive points.

First, in the 300 odd square miles of NYC every type of park and parkland is represented: private, private for public use, city, state, national, wildlife refuge, etc. and the boundaries and usage laws for each of these is not always clear. For instance Governor's Island. Last year NYAdmin allowed publication of at least two caches there but withdrew them both after discovering that part of the island was a National Park. I've been told that since then Gov's Island is considered entirely off limits by NYA even though over half of the island should be available to us. This problem of course compounds if you expand to the entire NYC Metro area.

The second is security concerns. NYC, especially Manhattan, has very unique security concerns that need to be addressed. I have seen NYA err on both the too lenient side, and on the too strenuous side of this issue. The bridge caches in Brooklyn a few years ago are good examples of the too lenient, and I could name a half dozen caches currently active in the city that if I had been Admin would never have gotten published for security reasons. Thankfully we haven't had a major incident yet, but I feel like a few of these are ticking bombs. On the too strict side I always go back to my own cache that was rejected by admin due to proximity to the UN, even though it was 5 blocks away and line of sight to the UN is blocked by an enormous apartment block. It LOOKS close on a map, but someone familiar with the area would have seen that it was fine. Other caches have been allowed that are closer to the actual UN building.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby everettlane » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:40 am

everettlane

Postby Tatanka49 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm not necessarily suggesting me although if offered, I would consider it. I think we just have to let the PTB that there is a concern. Yes, it is a private company, but it is because of us they are in business, so it is a two way street.
Tatanka49

Postby halijusapa » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:16 pm

halijusapa

Postby abelisle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:38 pm

My beef with the reviewer(s) is the .1 mile distance apart. They seem to measure it in a straight line even if there is a body of water in between or a large geographical obstruction.
abelisle

Postby buzzy_cacher » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:58 pm

This thread is technically about muggles and caches. I know the NYC Admin indirectly relates to this but I feel a new thread is needed - it would get more attention to the "problem", as well.
buzzy_cacher

Previous

Return to GeoCache Hides