[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Puzzle Preparedness

Puzzle Preparedness

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Puzzle Preparedness

Postby Child Of Atom » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:51 pm

As a lover of puzzle caches, (as I am sure you can tell) it breaks my heart to see the great puzzle caches of the city get so little attention. I have seen many a member here lament their poor puzzle solving skills, and I have sent out many a hint on my own puzzles to help the locals along... but I keep thinking that I could do more to help the puzzle population... I have two ideas that I have been toying with.

The first is to create a series of caches similar to Epeterso2's great series. If you are unfamiliar you should definitely take a look at that link. It is a 10 part series that teaches you how to solve geocache puzzles, broken down by type and strategy. He even has a virtual TB you can "discover" after solving the series, but that is no substitute for the 10 smilies that the residents of Central Florida can earn by solving the series. He has given me permission to copy the series here if I like. The advantage being that you can work through the series, and the caches, at your own pace.

My second idea is to do the same thing on a smaller scale as an event cache. A puzzle solving classroom series if you will. I have asked some of the area's more notorious puzzlers and they have been willing to attend such an event and act as "tutors." My idea is to lead those attending through a series of puzzles that would show you the same basic skills, and then give you some sample puzzles, along with the aid of a puzzler to help you get your feet wet. There could be a physical cache released to coincide, or we could simply use it as an opportunity to knock out some of the puzzles in Central Park. The advantage here is the ability to ask questions in a more in depth way, and to get a little camaraderie in as well.

Which is more appealing to the membership at large? (Feel free of course to tell me that puzzles don't interest you and never will, so bug off as well.) Would you work at a series of caches to learn puzzles, or would an event be more your style?
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Re: Puzzle Preparedness

Postby ruthny » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Both ideas sound terrific! I'd be interested in either or both of them!
ruthny

Postby Kbd71 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:00 pm

Considering the vast amount of emails I've sent regarding puzzle caches, I think both ideas are great. Chances are excellent I wouldn't be able to make the event, though.
Kbd71

Postby everettlane » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:24 pm

This would be great! I definitely need help with puzzles (solving and making.) Would prefer a series of caches to an event.
everettlane

Postby BLAA » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:50 pm

... a great idea. Thanks. And indeed the Puzzle101 series is terrific.

I don't know if this is feasible in the Metro NY area but it sure sounds like fun...Once a year or so a bit south of us (in California) some local cachers have a puzzle rally event. On the one hand teams are formed with several caching teams solving and finding puzzlers over the day and on the other the local puzzle masters publish a bunch of new puzzles simultaneously. I don't have many details - but I am aware that it takes place. The puzzles stay up, of course, after the event. We have not participated yet, but it sounds like fun.

And while we're talking about puzzles, a group of puzzlers from down south recently snagged a couple of ours ... and based on their logs they logged 50 puzzle caches that day! Clearly they did not solve them in the "field".
BLAA

Postby halijusapa » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:34 pm

If I have the time I'd go for a "training" event. Thanks for the great ideas (the first one is good too!).
halijusapa

Postby Tatanka49 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 pm

When I was at the Midwestern Geobash last summer, they ran an hour long seminar on Puzzle caches. Quite informative until the heavy duty puzzlers started to speak internal lingo and tunrned us newbies off. But for the most part, I learned a lot.

My biggest problems with puzzles is I haven't a clue where to start. I look at them and when I see no obvious way to even attempt to figure it out, I give up and move on. I also don't like any puzzle cache or even regular caches that require the use of the Internet to find answers. When I'm in the field, I don't have a computer with me.
Tatanka49

Postby Child Of Atom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:13 pm

Well, I doubt that even I would fit in well with those "heavy duty puzzlers" you mention. I know there is a whole community of puzzle solvers and creators out there in the world at large that have their own communities and stuff, but I don't go that far.

As far as having a computer in the field... that's one of the things I LIKE about puzzle caches, being able to work on those puzzles on rainy days, sleepless nights, or even downtime at work keeps me connected to caching when I can't actually be out there. Solve the puzzles in downtime, then add the final stages to the GPS for the next trip out.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:22 pm

addisonbr

Postby Harry Dolphin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:48 pm

Sometimes I wonder why I bother hiding puzzle caches. :cry: Must be that I'm a Grumpy Dolphin. Oh, well. :oops:
Harry Dolphin

Postby addisonbr » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:05 pm

My lack of a find on Perch is not for lack of effort Harry!
addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:46 pm

I'm not sure I quite believe this, but on the Groundspeak forums, Ken Jennings has gone on claiming that he has started geocaching with his family and is planning it as a chapter in a book about GPS, puzzles, etc. and is looking for input on the forum. I am going to elaborate on this more in a separate thread on these boards, but you puzzle-masters might want to go to the link I post on there and chat with him as we know he's really into "brain teasers" like some of your caches :D
halijusapa

Postby Sparrows_Gold » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:48 am

We would love to attend some sort of Puzzle Event!
We just attended one last night in NJ and it was very interesting,
but It did not include actually solving puzzles though - just explaining them!
We can look into reserving a conference room
at The Manhattan Club at 56th & 7th Street.
I think they charge us to rent a room but I can't remember how much!
This site is 2 blocks from Central Park, if you wanted to do an outside exercise.

Stan & Mary
Sparrows_Gold

Sparrows_Gold

Postby addisonbr » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:51 am

addisonbr

Postby Sparrows_Gold » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:49 am

It was in Kendall Park, NJ.
GC1YGJP Scary Blue Question Mark
Nik had a great Powerpoint Presentation but
a class where we actually solved puzzles would be great!

Sparrows_Gold

Next

Return to GeoCache Hides