[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Original Colonists

Original Colonists

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Original Colonists

Postby addisonbr » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:52 pm

For the historians among you...

Link might not work right away, until it's published by the admin... I expect that to be tonight or tomorrow morning.

A little different from my standard puzzle caches, in that the road map to the solution is laid out pretty clearly. But I think you'll enjoy it all the same.
addisonbr

Re: Original Colonists

Postby spungebob » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Another great puzzle cache by Addisonbr. I was just checking out the cache page and then checking out the 4qua5 cache. Now that one looks like an interesting one, (to put it mildly). Now I have 2 more on my list, although I still have to figure one of them out. It is amazing how much this game has changed in just the few years I have been doing it. I'm looking foward to doing the research on this one, and taking a walk back to the past!
spungebob

Postby BLAA » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 pm

We grabbed this one on a beautiful day today - terrific theme, daring placement ... and a very enjoyable tutorial on the early days of our hobby. Another positively brilliant and extremely hard to construct puzzle from Addisonbr. Very well done!

Perhaps we should review these old logs to see if there are appropriate opportunities for more "homage" caches.
BLAA

Postby EastVillageFamily » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:35 am

We loved addisonbr's unique puzzle, the Original Colonists too. A few years back we had already made a bookmark list of all the old archived Manhattan geocaches, that were placed by the cachers who came before us, but were no longer active in the game. Our purpose was to find and create some sort of homage cache.
We found that the old hides were either kind of lame by today's standards, or in the case of Cache_Ninja, too dangerous to be repeated. What we learned from all this was that the best geocache creation philosophy is still to create a journey where the finder has to follow in your footsteps. It's about the journey, whether you are following Cach_Ninja, risking life and limb (or out on a limb); or following a great historical walking tour like Alan2's Battle for New York series.
This is why addisonbr's Original Colonists is the greatest tribute to those days. It takes you on the journey of studying what those guys were up to way back when (all those six years ago).
EastVillageFamily

Postby gerkmax » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:47 pm

I especially like the little "tributes" to Cache_Ninja, which I didn't get until about THREE days later! :oops: At first I was like :-? Then i was looking at it, I was like :-w I figured it was just money and was like L-) But then I realized what it was and was like TOTALLY :-o "AddisonBR is THE MAN!" :ymapplause: :ympeace: ^:)^
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Heh heh heh... Thanks! mmacgown told me she was going to grab the final on Sunday so I told her I'd make sure to restock the swag before she got there... She said that she never takes swag, but I think she might change her mind on site...
addisonbr

Postby ruthny » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:38 am

I am intrigued, and can't wait to pick this one up, now that I've finished it!
ruthny

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:46 pm

I nominate Original Colonists for the 2009 Best Swag award. :D
EastVillageFamily

Postby ruthny » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:19 pm

ruthny

Postby cache_ninja » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:18 pm

cache_ninja

Postby gerkmax » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:25 am

CN, you HAVE to see it.
gerkmax

Postby cache_ninja » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:17 pm

ha! looks awesome from the listing.

re: photo i remember that day w/the guy from the VV well. he e-mailed the real me because my friend knew I was doing this stuff, then I had to be like, "you should talk to this guy "cache_ninja" and had him email from c/n account etc...i recall a lot of other hilarious interaction with the press...

i suppose i could tell people about this stuff and some of the original caches if anyone is interested/has questions.

indeed, i'm out in Portland Oregon for a bit...will not be able to check out Original Colonists, if you all want to PM me more details having found it or re: "tribute" would love to hear about it.

good to SeE You all heh.

c/n
cache_ninja

Postby addisonbr » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:11 pm

Nice to have you drop by CN... I'll send you some info on the Original Colonists swag.

If you ever find yourself back on the East Coast for a visit you should pay a call on your baby 4quA5. It, urm, might not be *exactly* where you remember it last...
addisonbr

Postby cache_ninja » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:02 pm

nice! will check it out someday...haven't been back to nyc in a year or so. no worries, i'm sure its close. it was usually more about the spot/area for me than anything else, but its pretty cool that some of the original logs survive in some caches as well.

c/n
cache_ninja

Return to GeoCache Hides