[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Fear Archived

Fear Archived

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Fear Archived

Postby addisonbr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:58 am

With sadness I must report that has been archived... It was a 5/5 mystery cache on Staten Island and from what I understand did a pretty good job of trying to live up to that rating. It was the last of splicingdan's caches to survive his retirement from the groundspeak-branded version of geocaching.
addisonbr

Re: Fear Archived

Postby halijusapa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:07 am

Since it was archived by the admin, I wonder if someone contacted Splicing Dan if he'd try to keep this one alive....I know from what I see on forum posts he is very anti-Groundspeak and maybe this hide exists on Terracaching, but I remember his suddenly appearing on a Groundspeak forum maybe a year or so ago on extreme caches when his name came up and someone contacted him. I'd be happy to do it if others on here thought it could bring it back, I couldn't adopt it though since I am way too far away from Staten Island.
halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:47 am

He showed up in this thread last fall... Sounded like he was willing to maintain it, but might have lost track of the time.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=202064
addisonbr

Postby buttaskotch » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:57 pm

If i remember correctly there had been a stage missing for quite sometime, I tried to go for that a few times on the occasion I was out that way.
Too bad, he didn't give anyone a chance to adopt it.
buttaskotch

Postby halijusapa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:54 pm

halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:18 pm

addisonbr

Postby hallycat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:56 pm

This is an answer I got from NY Admin when I wanted to unarchive a cache for adoption. Bottom line they won't unarchive a cache for the purpose of adoption.

That cache was missing for over 6 months before I finally archived it for lack of maintenance. BroKarl has demonstrated his inability to maintain the cache and expressed lack of interest in continuing to own it. A cache may not be unarchived with the intent to adopt it. For all the above reasons I can not unarchive Ole Fish'n Hole on the Bay for him.

Since you plan to replace the cache may I suggest submitting a new listing. Sure, it won't be the same old GC number but geocachers will once again enjoy visiting the spot.
hallycat

Postby Harry Dolphin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 pm

I should think that adopting a cache of this sort is not something to be contemplated lightly, if it were even possible. AFAIK, caches are never unarchived for the purpose of adoption. I have never even contemplate attempting Fear. But, from what I understand, it was one of the few caches actually deserving of the 5/5 rating. I have done several of splicingdan's caches. (My Monkey is still one my favorite 10 caches!!) He did have a tendency to push the envelope. Which, I suspect, is what caused him to move to other sites. Somehow, I doubt that he would even be willing to offer it up for adoption, if that were a possibility. Has anyone checked any of the other sites to see if Fear lives on there?
Harry Dolphin

Postby gerkmax » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:37 pm

If someone is going to adopt, they should do it soon. I tried to adopt (or revive) the original NYC Alpha (GC9D) with the assistance/permission of the original owner, but NY Admin said no. That it had been too long, and that even though the original CO would help and even make sure everything was as it was originally (container, placement, etc..), too much time had passed and that it would a different cache.
gerkmax

Return to GeoCache Hides