[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Manhattan's Oldest Cache Revived!

Manhattan's Oldest Cache Revived!

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Manhattan's Oldest Cache Revived!

Postby addisonbr » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:35 am

GerkMax recently identified the first cache placed in Manhattan - (only four waypoint characters!) and although there's no way to un-archive the cache as per groundspeak, GerkMax, AugustoJr and original CO Chris Rohner have gotten together and placed a cache just yards away from this historic site - Very cool idea, and they managed to hide an ammo can - the largest cache on Manhattan! Definitely worth a visit for those interested in NYC's geocaching history.
addisonbr

Re: Manhattan's Oldest Cache Revived!

Postby halijusapa » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:54 pm

That is cool, will have to check out sometime. I know from when we went to do the Grant's Tomb virtual cache that sometimes (like Sunday mornings) you can even find decent street parking there. :D
halijusapa

Postby gerkmax » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks for the shout out, Addison. Yeah, when I ran into "problems" (read as: "almost got stabbed") with "4quA5" (GC12AF), I remembered that someone mentioned that it was "the oldest existing cache in NYC". That got me thinking "Hey, I wonder what WAS NYC's first cache?"

So I did some research, and found a listing from back in 2002 of the oldest existing caches at the time. I contacted the original CO, who had been out from caching for a few years, and asked if he would mind if I reactivated his old cache. He didn't mind, and in fact was thinking of bringing that cache back (as he lives close by). But the NY Admin and Groundspeak wouldn't budge. I also thought "Whoa, only FOUR characters! (GC9D)"

When we met up with him, he walked us through the park to the original location. He said he had moved it at some point, due to muggles. But that location was TOO open to more "muggling", so we chose a location closer to the final coordinates. But that area is too sketchy. So we chose an area (closer to the cache's original coordinates) that would be more cacher-friendly, as we wanted people to actually come and find it. And we knew some cachers travel with their kids, ie. HaLiJuSaPa and EastVillageFamily.

In fact, we had another "adventure". A "resident" at those "further" coordinates, just snuck up on us. He said he left $20 laying around and it was missing, (yeah, right) and did we take it. He followed us out of the park, all the while cursing at us, and ended up spitting all over my car. I tried to draw his attention while Chris made his getaway. The guy followed him almost all the way home, until Chris ducked into an alley and double-backed.

I felt like I draw all the crazy, dangerous individuals.

Anyway, glad you approve of the cache. Hopefully more cachers will make it out.

By the way, now there's more reason to hold the next WWFM at Grant's Tomb. ;)
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:10 am

addisonbr

Postby Tatanka49 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:24 pm

I enjoyed reading the logs of the original...sort of like reading 18th Century English compared to today's modern grammar. I also noted the number of cahcers and the few caches that most had before they gave up the hobby. But one glaring visitor was one of the first..good ole' Stayfloopy.
Tatanka49

Postby Bonick0 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:17 pm

It's really great to see the cache come back to life. I'm glad people are keeping the geocaching history alive.
Bonick0

Return to GeoCache Hides