[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - I just HATE.....

I just HATE.....

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

I just HATE.....

Postby Tatanka49 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:42 pm

I see on all the postings, we have our favorites and our hates. Just curious what your top 3 hates are.

1. Tank caches (also trucks, cannons, railroad cars, etc)
2. Rock caches .. rock walls, seawalls, etc
3. Gazzebo caches

and micos/nanos in general, but I am warming up to them.

What say you?
Tatanka49

Re: I just HATE.....

Postby addisonbr » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:03 pm

I'm not even sure what (1) and (3) are referring to... What are they?
addisonbr

Postby Tatanka49 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:14 pm

Tank caches (and the term is common around the country...don't see many in NYC area) is when there is usually a micro, or a nano, hidden on an old army tank (usually in town parks with WWII, WW1 memorials...aloso cannons are found there), or a railroad car (there's one in Hawley PA that Paulo and I have looked for at least twice, and still haven't found, I also tried one in Nova Scotia), or a locomotive (Virginia Beach and Hoover Dam AZ) and old vehicles (an old jalopy in Las vegas) and similar objects. Sooooo many places the could be.

Gazzeebo's are those round bandstand type buildings in parks. Usually up in rafters...but sometimes under floor or one that is on LI, a wood panel is removed from the post and cache is behind it)
Tatanka49

Postby halijusapa » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:42 pm

Yeah, I've seen (or at least attempted) tank caches on many a trip to northeast PA, haven't seen any around here (have a feeling that especially weighted for population we don't have too many tanks to put one on). Have one with a DNF out there, and another that took 3 tries (and then with a little hint help from the owner and another caches). #1 for me too.

#2 would be nanos, and to some degree micro. But based on some of my recent hides I'm being a bit of a hypocrite :D My wife has warmed up to the nanos (and is the reason we've hidden one and maybe 1 or 2 others soon); they seem to be proliferating around Westchester now that Garvus is hiding them too. At least they're in neat spots that wouldn't be able to handle a "regular" cache.

Other than that, not really any hates.
halijusapa

Postby spungebob » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:42 pm

Hello! I found my way back and have been looking around........Anyway, on this note..... I also don't have a fondness for nano's, which leads me to my question: A lot of you have done my Fathers Day Fire Cache, and it's killing me that it's a nano. I thought it was great to have such a large cache in Queens, since it is overrun with micro's. Is it more frustrating to locate a final, only to be not able to retrieve it because of muggles, or to sign into a nano? What I want to get is some input on whether I should make this a large cache again. For those of you who haven't found it, it was a large coffee container that was very safe and secure where it was. The problem was that it was hidden in a small park, and there is ALWAYS someone there NO MATTER what the time is. I know I find it frustrating to wait and wait and wait..... only to have to leave. Let me know what you think. Thanks for any guidance.
spungebob

Postby Tatanka49 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:35 pm

I love finding medium size and larger caches. Micros are okay for very restricted places, but let's face it, most micros are there to add numbers.

I like micros that have a meaningful reason for bringing you to a place...like great views or unusual buildings. A guard rail by a bowling alley is not exciting. I like to have something to hold in my hands and perhaps do a trade or two. I cache on business trips to see things I wouldn't otherwise.

I would put the coffee can back where it was. Lots of places have muggles. It's the nature of the game. When I found that cache, I waited in the car 10 minutes for the coast to be clear. Maybe you can put it over by the firehouse someplace. I've seen caches in flower pots, milk boxes, make-believe drain pipes, etc. Also, the crew can be your second set of eyes and they can enjoy watching people find it.
Tatanka49

Postby addisonbr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:16 am

When I hunted for the Father's Day Fire cache I had the advantage of bringing a 3-footer with me. We also had a muggle who wouldn't leave the area, so I finally approached and told him that an older brother had designed a treasure hunt for the kids and that one of the clues in the area behind the benches, and so not to mind us as we poked around. Not technically true, but it captured the spirit of the situation well in a way that the muggle could understand in 5 seconds instead of however long it would take to describe geocaching. He couldn't have cared less about what we were up to after that. And the original-sized container was a HUGE hit. A far more memorable experience for us than if it had been a nano, which is often the "easy way out" for a cache hide. We loved it!
addisonbr

Postby lekogm » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:21 am

Offset caches listed as multi-caches. If I have to do more than put the co-ords for the next stage in or i'll even go as far to say replace one letter with one number from the plaque or address; it is a puzzle cache as I have to solve something.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby hallycat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:52 am

I did a tank cache, can't say I hated it. Had to use the clue though and I had company. It is hard to pin down the location with the GPS.

I am not that comfortable climbing around on rock covered hills so I'd have to say I dislike that kind of terrain and the caches placed on them. Also gave myself a pretty nasty cut moving a rock a few months ago. I was visiting my Mom. She wanted me to get stitches but I didn't want to waste time at the hospital. Happened to have a Dr's appt a few days later and he said no, didn't need tetanus but I should have gotten stitches. I can barely see where it was now.

I dislike nanos mostly because it's so damn hard to get the log back in. However I have found some really cleverly hidden ones (thanks Spikerek) and some others that have taken me to historic sites (BobnMli) .

Guardrail and lamp post micros, blah. A cleverly hidden micro that is in "plain sight" I like as well as ones that take you somewhere interesting.
Before I knew what a lamp post cache was, the first one was neat. And took me several visits to find.

Don't make me go through briars and brambles or poison plants. I realize that they may not have been visible when the cache was hidden but make sure it's stated clearly that there IS no safe way in without going through it once you have found it out. I am not that big on numbers that I will deliberately wade through PI.
hallycat

Postby Merge! » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:35 am

Merge!

Postby EastVillageFamily » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:03 am

We found Fathers Day Fire cache just after addisonbr and the reason we had so much fun was that we knew it was a coffee can! The hiding place was unique and well worth the hunt. We wanted to see where you could possibly hide a coffee can in such a small urban space. We wouldn't have raced to find it if it was a nano. Please put back the ingenious coffee can. GZ was empty when we arrived, but muggles arrived while we searched and we had to alter our approach.. I don't see how its any easier to search for a nano if muggles are sitting in the wrong place anyway.
EastVillageFamily

Postby addisonbr » Fri May 02, 2008 7:39 pm

addisonbr

Return to GeoCache Hides