Oldest active caches

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Oldest active caches

Postby peeves79 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Was just curious, what are the oldest active caches in NYC, each borough and surronding areas outside of the city. I believe, unless I am mistaken, in Queens the oldest cache is Alan2's time capsule virtual GC2A3E (11/25/2001) and the oldest cache with a log is GCB036 The Holy Wall (12/1/2002). but what about else where?
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Re: Oldest active caches

Postby addisonbr » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:08 pm

From talking with EVF, I think GC30E by cache ninja was the first cache placed in Brooklyn. It was delisted by GC.com for reasons I'm not sure of but lives on as a terracache (although the current posted coords are about 1/4 mile away from the archived GC.com coords).

I think the oldest active "real" (non-virtual) cache on Manhattan is another CN cache, 4quA5 GC12AF.

Oldest in the Bronx is (again, I think, not 100% on these) Vanny Cache GC1382. I ripped my best jeans hunting that one and am still ticked of at myself about it.

Forgetting GC30E, Brooklyn has Bergen BeachCombing GC89AF. I meant to go look for that one with one of the Munchkins a couple of months ago but it took us longer than we anticipated to find some of the others on our list and we never got to it.

Queens and Staten Island I'm not sure about; I haven't seriously "cased" those areas for full frontal assaults yet.
addisonbr

Re: Oldest active caches

Postby halijusapa » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:28 pm

I think you are right on all counts. The oldest active cache in Westchester (and the NY Metro area I believe) is Sleepy Hollow-1 (GCAE). I think it may be the oldest in NY State as well, but not sure (I would think it would get more finders looking for a "special cache" for milestones, etc. if it was). A close 2nd is Cache Ninja's gerbiL cacHe (GCC8), which I know for certain is the oldest active cache in NJ.
halijusapa

Return to GeoCache Hides