[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - On Location NYC - A new geocache series in NYC

On Location NYC - A new geocache series in NYC

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

On Location NYC - A new geocache series in NYC

Postby EastVillageFamily » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:35 pm

Woodstrider has come up with a great idea: Geocache series that anyone can add to. There are movies and TV shows, some well known, others not, that have been shot in just about every neighborhood in in Manhattan, and many neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx.
Woodstrider got this started with and
I just submitted another one in my neck of the woods. Now I'm thinking about a puzzle cache to add to the series...
Anyone have a favorite NYC movie?
EastVillageFamily

Re: On Location NYC - A new geocache series in NYC

Postby lekogm » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:45 am

I was thinking of doing a Die Hard series a few months ago but I got tied up with work.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby halijusapa » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:32 am

We started (locally, it actually started in eastern PA) a series called "Spare US another micro", etc. based on bowling alleys. There's now one in the Bronx (our hide) and two in Yonkers (MarkSun). Tatanka noted the series in his log to our Bronx one. I like this idea of series that anyone can hide.

Our 100th find back in April was a "multi-virtual" (listed as a multi but really a virtual) that was kind of like this "On Location" series that took you to 4 such places in Queens and one in southern Westchester. We purposely picked this one for that milestone because we were the first to log it in about 18 months.
halijusapa

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:50 am

A 'Die Hard' series would be fun. Some of our fondest movie memories are from spending several weeks watching Die Hard 3 shoot in Tompkins Square Park. They built a fake elephant statue/fountain in the park and shot several street scenes. A neighborhood school was re-decorated to stand in for various buildings. I believe that our Tompkins Square Park cache is the only cache near any of those locations. Or were you thinking of following the aqueduct?
EastVillageFamily

Postby hallycat » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Do they have to be movies? How about TV shows. All in the Family and The Honeymooners come to mind.
hallycat

Postby EastVillageFamily » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:22 pm

TV locations are great too. But the All in the Family house is already part of a multi cache in Queens, but I don't think there are any caches in Bensonhurst Brooklyn yet :D
EastVillageFamily

Postby lekogm » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:11 am

For the Die Hard cache I was thinking of going to all the major locations in the movie and having some sort of stage there, sort of as an explore the city thing.

Another good cache would be a Ghostbusters cache.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby addisonbr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:28 am

addisonbr

Postby EastVillageFamily » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:10 pm

There's a cache and at least one cache. But there could be many more from those movies, and of course one of the Law & Order shows is shooting on the streets almost every day.
EastVillageFamily

Postby EastVillageFamily » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:13 pm

If there wasn't already a cache nearby, I would have dropped a "Rosemary's Baby" cache on addisonbr's doorstep a while ago....
EastVillageFamily

Postby halijusapa » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:43 pm

halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:32 pm

addisonbr

Postby EastVillageFamily » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:39 pm

I think addisonbr is correct. I was being deliberately vague, since there are so many NYC locations shot for the Spiderman films. The cache i mentioned is for the diner that MJ worked at, but that diner has been in many films...
Entire blocks of my neighborhood have been made over to become NYC back around 1900, for both Godfather II and Ragtime, but unfortunately I already have caches on both those blocks. There are a few more interesting homes out there...
EastVillageFamily

Postby addisonbr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:53 pm

I tried to add to this series the other day, but I couldn't find a good place for the container. It was not a problem I anticipated; I think my jaw literally dropped (as opposed to figuratively) when I realized that the hiding spot would not accommodate my cache. I'm going to have to regroup and figure something else out.
addisonbr

Postby Tatanka49 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:41 pm

Right up to date... I think I will do an August Rush site (ok, it wasn't a great movie, but it was filmed inside my church) and the Bronx Tale was filmed in Astoria...my old stomping grounds.
Tatanka49

Next

Return to GeoCache Hides